Succulent Garden Before & Now

Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)September 29, 2009

I am mostly a lurker here, and I like going though all of the pictures posted on this forum and other forums. I'd like to share a couple of pictures of the transformation of my yard from a lawn to a drought tolerant garden. The main reason for the transformation has been to conserve water, so all of the plant material that has replaced the lawn is drought resistant (some of the pre-existing plants are not.) I've been using both California natives and plants native to areas with similar climates, such as the northwest of Mexico, Central Chile and Argentina, Southern Africa, The interior and West of Australia and the Mediterranean region. I'm kind of going for a Tuscan/Mediterranean look with a tropical twist. It's still a work in progress and a lot of the plants are still very young, but here they go anyway:

May 2008

July 2009

September 2009

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
domehome(9 CA)

Nice work. I'm guessing Santa Barbara by the number of palm trees? I'm in the Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande area. What are the tropical looking plants to the right of the pathway? If you are interested in any small to medium agaves I have extras.
Dee

Bookmark   October 15, 2009 at 4:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)

Thanks for the compliments Domehome! Im actually in the San Joaquin Valley. The palms line lots of country roads here. I love the Pismo Beach area. I'm actually taking a day trip to Pismo beach this coming weekend for a friend's birthday!

I think you're referring to the squash/gourd (?) vine. You can see a green and white striped gourd underneath the foliage. It was actually a volunteer this year. I have no clue how the seed got there. It must have been dropped by a bird.

Also, Thanks for the offer! I would love some smaller Agaves. I'm scared of using large Agaves for fear that they may take over the garden. The only ones I'm using right now are Agave Vilmoriniana (which doesn't sucker) and other user friendly Agaves, as well as an Agave Americana and Agave angustifolia in spots far from paths and without irrigation.

Here are some more current pictures. These are from after the heavy rain fall from this past week:

Im thinking of placing a queen palm where the almond tree is (the far back near the wall on the right side of the picture) to repeat the palm on the left side of the patio.

Here is a link that might be useful: Feel free to view more pics in my photobucket album

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 6:12PM
More Discussions
Identify this plant???
My cousin is renavating an older home on the Jersey...
Jacque0901
Island Garden
Six years ago I started creating a garden at my expense...
DelawareDonna
please help id this plant
My friend grew this cute plant from seeds that he found...
Steph5647
Pls help me identtify these houseplants #2
My mom asked me to take care of these plants, but im...
macbunny
Some new flowers in my garden
Here's some of the flowers blooms in my garden.
vivekpatel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™