Creepy Yellow Spider

gardener365(5b Illinois USA)September 10, 2008

I was working next to this today. I left him alive. Legs to legs it's the size of a silver dollar.

Dax

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
r-tist(6)

I love these creatures. Not only are they beautiful, but they feed on insects that you do not want in your garden.
Thanks for sharing a beautiful picture.

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 11:52PM
gardener365(5b Illinois USA)

My sister knew the scientific name and she said they are good for the garden too. Never have I see one in my years.

Here's a little info from Spiderz Rule:

Black and Yellow Argiope - Argiope Aurantia
This lovely spider only has a short life span and once she has produced one or more (usually no more than 3) brown, papery egg sacs, she will die. The egg sacs are roughly round in shape and up to 25 mm in diameter; each contains 300 to 1400 eggs. She attaches her egg sacs to one side of her web, close to her resting position at the centre. Each female will watch over her eggs as long as she can, but will die in the first hard frost, if not before. The eggs hatch in Autumn ( fall), but spiderlings stay in the sac during winter and emerge in spring. There is also a silver argiope which differs in that it has a metallic silver back.

Dax

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 7:48AM
wally_1936(8b)

Yes if they get in the way we just take a broom and move them to a better area as they do like to get in the driveway or in front of the doorways. People down here were calling them bannana spiders, as the seem to hang around our bannana plants, but bannana spiders aren't anything to mess with and these do a great job of keeping many bugs away from our home.

Bookmark   December 26, 2008 at 9:04PM
More Discussions
macbunny
What type of fern?
My wife received this for Christmas. ideas?
mrmootsie
Help identify plant with little purple flowers.
I bought two of these plants. Are about foot and a...
lauranium
Identify this plant please
Hi can someone please tell me what this plant is called...
rycooder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™