Our Holly, getting ready for Christmas....

HerbSeptember 14, 2005

.......They should all be red by Christmas - meantime, they're even more colorful.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowergirl_VA(z7 VA)

Isn't that neat! All the colors are really pretty.

Bookmark   September 15, 2005 at 7:51AM
JoanofPa(z6 Pa)

How beautiful, how about a whole shot of the tree now!

Bookmark   September 15, 2005 at 7:53AM
gldno1

Herb, that holly is beautiful. We have one growing next to the house, it was here when we moved. It is much too close, but once I saw the berries, I just can't cut it down, so I am trying to keep it pruned so it doesn't attack you as you walk down the very-little-used steps. I think the leaves look slightly different from yours, but the clusters of berries look similar.

BTW, you are closer to cold than we are, mine haven't begun to change color yet.

gld

Bookmark   September 16, 2005 at 6:27AM
nanahanna(a8 AR)

Good grief! Mine aren't even near turning red yet! Yours are lovely!

Nana

Bookmark   September 18, 2005 at 11:46PM
lavendrfem(z6 CT)

I was wondering if you had male and female hollies together? Mine is very small and I only planted one - no berries yet and I'm wondering if this might be the reason.

thanks!
(new gardener)
Estelle

Bookmark   September 25, 2005 at 12:00AM
Herb

Estelle,

We have 3 female trees & 1 male. I don't know whether small, young hollies flower, but assuming they do & that yours is a female, the absence of a mate is a probable reason yours has no berries.

The Western Gardening book says that some female hollies will set berries without a mate, but I wonder if that's really true, or is it a case of there being a mate in one of the neighbors' gardens.

Herb

Bookmark   September 25, 2005 at 1:04AM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

I love hollies. Some small ones don't flower so well, especially the clones with variegated leaves. Watch for flowers in spring and when you get some, make sure they are female flowers :)

Bookmark   September 25, 2005 at 6:29PM
nanahanna(a8 AR)

Here is a closeup of mine. It is the only bush we have and it is loaded with berries. The leaves on mine are not the typical holly shape leaves though. The birds love it in the winter and I usually cut some boughs off for Christmas decorations.

Bookmark   September 30, 2005 at 3:42PM
magnusmoss

Can a blue princess holly interbreed with one of those holly trees with the silver edges around the leaves? I'mtrying to get a mate for my holly so it will make berries.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 6:32PM
More Discussions
my piece of paradise
Monster garden
Angel_Hawk1975
Plant Identification
Can someone put a name to this plant?
Nerwen
Identify this plant please
Hi can someone please tell me what this plant is called...
rycooder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™