My specie clematis

geoffhandley(Shropshire, UK)October 20, 2005

I photographed this in my garden where it rampages over a wooden fence, nearby conifer hedge and adjacent garden furniture if given a chance. It is Clematis rehderiana. Every spring I hack it right down to stop it taking over the garden. I grew the plant from seed that I obtained from Ness botanic gardens. This week i saw the plant that must have been the seed source. That plant was a straggly thing trained on wires on a warm terrace where they keep all the delicate climbers. The flowers could be counted in dozens. The flowers on my plant are in the thousands. I wonder if I can get viable seed? They are predicting a cold winter this year and if it is delicate?

Oh and in my garden it has a most delicate and sweet fragrance.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Joyce(Zone 7b LI, NY)

Mine is blooming like crazy too, and was sold to me as a tiny 2" potted plant this spring labeled Clematis rehderiana 'Temple Bells'
You are right, it smells wonderful!

Bookmark   October 25, 2005 at 12:22AM
Nushka_IA(4b IA)

The Clematis forum has a thread on collecting seed; in brief, my impression is that, on the one hand, green seed may sometimes be viable and, on the other hand, a little frost doesn't hurt.

What beautiful photos!

Bookmark   October 27, 2005 at 5:13PM
suzannie41(PA-Zn 6)

Geoff, That is one beautiful Clematis. I wonder if you could share some seeds if you are able to harvest any? Thanks for posting the photo, though.

suz

Bookmark   October 27, 2005 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
Island Garden
Six years ago I started creating a garden at my expense...
DelawareDonna
my huge tropical garden
Monster garden
Angel_Hawk1975
What type of fern?
My wife received this for Christmas. ideas?
mrmootsie
macbunny
please help id this plant
My friend grew this cute plant from seeds that he found...
Steph5647
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™