My specie clematis

geoffhandley(Shropshire, UK)October 20, 2005

I photographed this in my garden where it rampages over a wooden fence, nearby conifer hedge and adjacent garden furniture if given a chance. It is Clematis rehderiana. Every spring I hack it right down to stop it taking over the garden. I grew the plant from seed that I obtained from Ness botanic gardens. This week i saw the plant that must have been the seed source. That plant was a straggly thing trained on wires on a warm terrace where they keep all the delicate climbers. The flowers could be counted in dozens. The flowers on my plant are in the thousands. I wonder if I can get viable seed? They are predicting a cold winter this year and if it is delicate?

Oh and in my garden it has a most delicate and sweet fragrance.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Joyce(Zone 7b LI, NY)

Mine is blooming like crazy too, and was sold to me as a tiny 2" potted plant this spring labeled Clematis rehderiana 'Temple Bells'
You are right, it smells wonderful!

Bookmark   October 25, 2005 at 12:22AM
Nushka_IA(4b IA)

The Clematis forum has a thread on collecting seed; in brief, my impression is that, on the one hand, green seed may sometimes be viable and, on the other hand, a little frost doesn't hurt.

What beautiful photos!

Bookmark   October 27, 2005 at 5:13PM
suzannie41(PA-Zn 6)

Geoff, That is one beautiful Clematis. I wonder if you could share some seeds if you are able to harvest any? Thanks for posting the photo, though.

suz

Bookmark   October 27, 2005 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
pls help identify
what is this plant?. im really lost. Thanks.
macbunny
my huge tropical garden
Monster garden
Angel_Hawk1975
Can anyone identify this plant?
I grew this from a cutting given to me by a neighbor. She...
jeff_leites
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™