Another Pyracantha

shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)November 20, 2005

The branches are literally weighed down to the ground with berries.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jaceysgranny(7aAR)

Wow! What a fabulous display! The berries do look kind of red. Yours are orange too, aren't they? All of the ones I've seen have been orange.

Nancy

Bookmark   November 20, 2005 at 10:46AM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

This is a cultivar with red berries. They go straight from green to red. I have another where the berries go orange and then deepen to red.

Bookmark   November 20, 2005 at 11:07AM
Nushka_IA(4b IA)

Do your birds get drunk on the berries? Our robins get sauced.

Bookmark   November 21, 2005 at 2:42PM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

The birds never manage to finish all the berries but they do try! I don't know if they get drunk, I've never seen my robin lying in the gutter :)

Bookmark   November 21, 2005 at 2:48PM
SwampRose_WA

Wonderful color for this time of year!

I bet my birds would like this - maybe I should get some too.

Bookmark   November 21, 2005 at 4:02PM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

I found this old picture of what it takes to produce all those berries. The white branches at the back are Pyracantha flowers.

Bookmark   November 22, 2005 at 5:11PM
carol23_gw

That's a gorgeous shrub in flower and in fruit! It's a bonus to have weeks ( or months) of color when the flowers are gone.

Bookmark   November 24, 2005 at 7:53AM
joanmn

Wow, I've never seen anything like that before. Beautiful.

Bookmark   November 25, 2005 at 12:47PM
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

Do you have to prune yours to make it produce the flowers/fruit so concentrated on the branches? That is really neat! I like both pix of it!!

I have a red-berried one as well. (Well, a deep orange-red.) My Pyracantha is half dead. A large part of it is gone (I cut it last year & miss it). The other half isn't faring well either. I still don't know what caused its decline. :(

My Mama always told us the berries were poisonous. I've never checked into that. Is that why the comment on drunk birds?

~Rosemarie

Bookmark   November 27, 2005 at 6:51PM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

I think the berries are toxic to use but the birds do love them. Pyracantha flower and fruit very heavily when they are happy and they don't need any special pruning or treatment to do it. But they are also prone to diseases, being in the rose family. This is a particularly disease-resistant cultivar but another plant I have would probably be dead of scab if I didn't spray it in spring. I'm going to replace it with another one of the strong ones, maybe with yellow berries.

Bookmark   November 28, 2005 at 2:20PM
jaceysgranny(7aAR)

I'll have to look for a red one. The geranium in front of the 2nd pic is gorgeous. What variety is it? I have 5 or 6 but they never grow. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Do they take a lot of water and rich soil? If so, I'm probably out of luck! ;-)

Nancy

Bookmark   November 28, 2005 at 4:47PM
Nushka_IA(4b IA)

My parents' house (SF Bay Area) has several of them and I used to sample the berries as a child--despite having been told many times never to eat any red berry--and I survived. Of course, this might just mean they're only mildly toxic or I have some weird immunity. As to avian drunkenness, I always thought it was because the berries had fermented. Regarding pruning, my parents never prune theirs, but they do seem to bear heavily only every other year.

Bookmark   November 30, 2005 at 4:45PM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

The Geranium is G. regelii, it is fairly similar to G. pratense. It is a species and will self-seed. I grew this one from seed two or three years ago. It is large and has large flowers, showy as you can see, but pretty much just for a few weeks in spring. They are quite tolerant, but do best with regular water and decent soil although this one is in a dry spot under a tree with fairly thin soil and just morning sun. They'd probably go semi-dormant in summer in Arkansas as the spring foliage fried, then flush out again later.

Bookmark   November 30, 2005 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
Pls help me identtify these houseplants #2
My mom asked me to take care of these plants, but im...
macbunny
Identify this plant please
Hi can someone please tell me what this plant is called...
rycooder
Help identify plant with little purple flowers.
I bought two of these plants. Are about foot and a...
lauranium
Sponsored Products
Gray & Black Laundry Center
$54.99 | zulily
Quill Pendant by Hubbardton Forge
$1,590.00 | Lumens
Tom Dixon | Spun Vase Trio
$850.00 | YLighting
Sage Green Throw Pillows
$110.00 | Bellacor
Atelier taupe with white stripe table runner
Origin Crafts