Front Yard

romanpotDecember 31, 2013

Look at our front yard. The previous grass bed was dag out and replanted with low heathers, box, perennials and wooly thyme. It is a very low maintenance bed. We and our neighbours like it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois(5b)

Looking great! How long did it take you to get this done?

Jim

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 4:42PM
romanpot

I just turned the grass sod over and planted directly into it. It was done in a week.
This picture is taken one year later.

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 1:32PM
Ann_02(6B)

Wow! That is really lovely! did you do anything special to your soil before you planted? You say this used to be a lawn? Well done.

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 3:39PM
oldcrafty(8)

Very nice

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 10:50AM
romanpot

I did not do anything special to the soil. The turned over grass sod dissintegrated into a great, rich soil and all plants are doing well in it.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 1:42PM
mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)

That's what I do, but I use Roundup on the lawn first and then wait a couple of weeks before turning over the sod. That eliminates any 'problems' that might occur.
Nice job! You paid attention to scale and made it all fit. I like the rocks too. Ya went big! Big rocks go well with small plants. They don't hide them. Most people like to plant in front of rocks which eventually hides them. That's what you don't want.
Again, good job.
Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: My pics

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 4:59PM
ibilous(6 Mykolayiv)

Love "before" and "after" pictures. How do you call the plants that sit at the spot edje, with yellow flowers?
Also would like to know how another plant made through the year. At "before" picture the one with variegated leaves (I guess) just at the left side to the pink Dianthus. And how do you call it as well?
Thanks!!

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 12:12PM
mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)

I like to spade. I used to do it for relaxation when I had a desk job for a large corporation here in Seattle. Spading was the first thing I did after coming home from work and the weather permitted it. An hour or so and I was down to 'normal'. I would double dig and not let one blade of grass show. That was more important than how much I got done. It's not about the amount of stress, but the type of stress that leaves you satisfied. I'm happy working, and have a hard time doing nothing. That's when I'm stressed.
Again, good job.
Romanpot, do you have an update? :-)
Mike

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
What type of fern?
My wife received this for Christmas. ideas?
mrmootsie
Pls help me identtify these houseplants #1
My mom asked me to take care of these plants, but im...
macbunny
what's growing out of my compost?
Can anyone identify this plant that has erected from...
TiguanTom
Accessible Gardening Win-Win
Here's a win-win for saving your back, gardening from...
Emerald-Oaks
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™