Garden Timeline

daryljurassic(OHIO 6a)December 14, 2007

Here is the latest update to my tropical garden in Cincinnati, Ohio. The pics include castor beans, bananas and elephant ears.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2007 Garden Timeline

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerriedee(z7nc)

I never would have thought it possible, but you have proven that it is possible to have a tropical garden in my zone 7 garden. Your caster bean plants look down right intimidating ! What do you feed them devils ? It looks so lush, you've done a great job ! Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 9:34PM
davidlee(z7 / SWArk)

Wow!!! That was neat!

Bookmark   December 17, 2007 at 6:03AM
hostasz6a(z6a MA)

I enjoyed the passing of the seasons. I have a neighbor that grows caster beans. Lovely photos.

Bookmark   December 20, 2007 at 12:07PM
lindakimy

That's AMAZING! Seriously...what DO you feed them? For a minute there I thought they were going to eat your house!

What a great way to "see" your garden. I'm going to try to take pictures at regular intervals from the same point of view like that so I can really see the progress in my own gardens. Thanks for the idea!!

Bookmark   December 24, 2007 at 9:17AM
daryljurassic(OHIO 6a)

Thx Linda, I put a teaspoon of Osmocote in the hole when I plant them. A few of them got some 10-10-10 around them in June and thats it. An early start for some - I planted a few starter plants in what's called "Walls of Water" which are like mini individual greenhouses - (Gurneys.com)

Bookmark   January 2, 2008 at 11:37AM
alley

Those castor beans are amazing. What do you do with your bananas? I see they were left out. Do they come back in the spring, or do you consider them an annual and start over each year?

Bookmark   January 15, 2008 at 8:36AM
daryljurassic(OHIO 6a)

Thx, I leave the cold hardy bananas out year round - musa basjoo. They come back in the spring. I have some large cavendish bananas that I ball & burlap and let go dormant in my basement. I also have a couple of different potted ones upstairs and I am currently battling the spider mites with them....Time for round three of spraying them. (In the future, I don't think I'll pot anymore nanners...)

Bookmark   January 17, 2008 at 2:49PM
More Discussions
Help identify plant with little purple flowers.
I bought two of these plants. Are about foot and a...
lauranium
Identify plant
Hi I need some help identifying this plant that is...
missmollyy
Accessible Gardening Win-Win
Here's a win-win for saving your back, gardening from...
Emerald-Oaks
What type of fern?
My wife received this for Christmas. ideas?
mrmootsie
Island Garden
Six years ago I started creating a garden at my expense...
DelawareDonna
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™