Pepper problems...too much rain and spots (pics)

ahismahJune 9, 2010

We've had a lot of rain in the past few weeks, combined with cooler temperatures. As a result, my peppers are really struggling. They're in a raised bed with a mix of compost, peat moss and vermiculite. The rest of the raised boxes are doing great (no other peppers planted), but I did individually amend the beds with compost at right before planting.

The leaves are yellowing, I think partly due to a nitrogen deficiency (from the crazy amounts of rain. I'm more concerned with the spots though and the areas where there is more significant yellowing. Could this just be soil splash, or is it something bacterial. I did poke around to try to figure it out but stuck out.

I did spray with a bit of Terracycle worm poop tea to try to given them some nutrients foliarly. I have some garden tone but was going to wait until Thursday when the rain is due...I really don't want to add any more water to the beds.

Can anyone help identify the problem? Is it treatable, or are the pepper plants a loss? Thank you so much for your help, I'm completely stuck.

Raised bed w/ peppers

Plant worst affected:

One leaf is notably curling (pretty much just this one)

I see some white blotches under some of the leaves:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ikea_gw

It looks like early blight in the second photo, and maybe the last photo too. It is a fungal infection that can spread quickly when the weather is wet. Remove the affected leaves from the garden and treat with a fungicide.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 10:02PM
the_pepper_guy

It is caused by all the rain we have had. It looks like bacterial leaf spot.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pepper Guy's Blog

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 10:09PM
ahismah

Thank you both!

I'm going to remove the infected leaves ASAP. What is a good organic fungicide. I think my local nursery carries this: http://www.romencegardens.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.productDetail/productID/137/index.htm

I'd really like to stay organic, but will consider non-organic if it means saving the peppers.

Also, what do I do if it's bacterial leaf spot? Google (and gardenweb search) is giving me mixed info and my Rodale's book isn't helping much either. Do I need to pull the plants? I don't want to infect my other boxes, but I'd prefer not to lose my peppers either. Sigh. 3 weeks in and already toast.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 11:02PM
the_pepper_guy

Pull the leaves and get some fungicide. No need to pull up the plants at this point. Give them a chance. Think positive. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pepper Guy's Blog

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 11:08PM
ikea_gw

ahismah, without seeing the labels it is hard to say if that fungicide will work. You might need to go check the label at the store. For other organic options, Serenade and Actinovate are mentioned here often. Personally I have just started using Serenade so I can't say for sure if it is effective.

You don't need to pull the plants as long as you remove diseased leaves and start spraying. And hope for dryer weather. :)

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
weed or seedling
In the area of this seedling my daughter put radish...
sepulvd
good weed fighters
Am looking for ideas to fight off weeds. Currently...
sepulvd
Skirret and Sea Kale
Can someone tell me where I might buy Skirret and Sea...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Unforecasted late frost
I'm pretty much a newbie. I transplanted a yellow...
Katie Gooding
I really messed up, who can help? Tomato expert needed...
I planted beefsteak and July 4th tomatoes and didn't...
dwyerkg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™