honey bear squash....size

Mindyw3(5)June 9, 2012

So unless the flavor wows me i dont know that id grow these again. The plants are tidy, grew and bloomed quickly. First fruitset on one plant and all other fruit and blossoms have since aborted. The first fruit is about softball size. I expected small but not THAT small. So doing the math i wont get very many fruit off this plant. The second plant set two fruit, same day for both, and one is maybe baseball size and one is tiny!!! And they have already begun to ripen!!!! Of course all other blossoms are aborting. Im a little dissappointed. : (. Anyone one else have experience with this variety?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Karlieb(6b SEKansas)

Have you tried hand pollinating? I just don't get enough pollinators here for my squash/melons and any that I don't manually pollinate abort.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 10:10PM
Mindyw3(5)

Karlie: i always hand pollinate, but the last couple i did grew a while and then aborted and now the flowers themselves are aborting before blooming.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 10:31PM
weirdtrev

Ripe squash in zone 5? When did you plant them? Also keep in mind it is only June there is a lot of growing season left. As the plants get bigger they will support more fruit. Don't count your chickens before they've hatched.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 11:01PM
Mindyw3(5)

Weirdtrev: here are some picks of them. All three appear to be ripening, only one at any kind of decent size, even for a small squash.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 10:20AM
lizbeth_pa

Never heard of honey bear squash. Looks kind of like acorn squash. How do you hand pollinate? People tell me that w/ squashes but I never tried it. I have zucchini squash growing. That is my only squash family plant growing. Should I be hand pollinating it?

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 4:39PM
Mindyw3(5)

Lizbeth: it is an acorn squash variety. You only need to hand pollinate if you are getting plenty of blossoms but no or few fruit.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
Radish in Miami
I grow mostly tomatoes, but once in a while I plant...
garf_gw
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™