Cucumbers and rabbits?

dirtguy50 SW MO z6a(6a)June 3, 2012

My buddy called all bent out of shape about his cucumber plants. He saw a rabbit out by his containers and went to see what was going on. He said all of the lower female flowers had be eaten off and wandered if that sounds like what a rabbit would do. I simply don't know so thought I would as you folk. Thanks for any information or insight on this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

Yes, rabbits LOVE cucumbers. And melons. They'll eat them any chance they get. Your friend should put a chicken wire barrier or similar around the plants to keep them rabbits away.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 10:57AM
MelissaHess(5)

Yep! Bunnies are the worse! They don't eat my cucumbers for some reason, but I cannot grow a single green bean because they eat the plants! I really hate the bunnies.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 8:08PM
another_buffalo(6)

Hi neighbor :)
The bunnies ate every leaf off my sweetpotatoes. I transplanted the poor leftover stems below the tomatoes in a raised bed with a fence around it and they have come back nicely.

My cantalopes are starting to bloom, but I had to protect them from chickens scratching (and dogs) by putting some 2 inch by 4 inch mesh wire over the beds right on the ground. I don't think the bunnies or the chickens like to walk on the wire, and so far so good. Your friend might try that - its easy and cheap.

The chickens have eaten the first five cucumbers right off the vine - they definatly know what tastes good. I'm training the cucs to grow up a trellis out of reach as fast as possible.... That would put them out of reach of the bunnies as well.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 10:45PM
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a(6a)

I know rabbits like to eat cucumber plants but was curious if anyone have seen them just eat the flowers and leave the rest of the plant alone. Thanks again.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
Giant Noble Spinach
I started this variety in my grow closet (which is...
thedudefrom1976
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
Molokai Purple Sweet Potatoes
Molokai Purple Sweet Potatoes Anyone ever try these?...
fresc1000
Romaine Lettuce help
So I plant 3 sets of 3 romaine plants about 2 1/2 weeks...
robbversion1
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™