freezing purple hull peas

cburksJune 30, 2007

Has anyone ever hear of freezing peas in a pillowcase?

I had a 84 year old lady tell me that she shells the peas does not wash them just put them in a pillowcase close and freeze then when she wants to cook soom get what she will cook and wash and cook. any advise on this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gonefishin(z7bTx)

Never heard of that, I guess that it could work, if it is working for her. Personally, I would shell, rinse, blanch and put them in what ever size sip lock bags I wanted to use and chunk them into the freezer.
Bill P.

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 10:59PM
grittymitts(7/8)

I'd not take any chances & do as Bill P. suggest.

Years ago someone told me they froze them in the shell. Sick 'n tired of shelling them, I decided to give it a try with a few. UGH! My family wouldn't eat them.

Last week I saw shelled Purple Hulls at a stand where they sell a lot of fresh veggies and my jaw dropped when I heard them quote the price to someone...$45. for a gallon zip-lock bag!
Suzi

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 7:13AM
RuthieG__TX(z8 TX)

I am sure you could do it that way but why would you...The proper way is to shell, wash, blanch, cool and freeze...it sounds like a long drawn out process but it takes just minutes and you end up with a beautiful product...I wouldn't even want to risk losing my peas doing it that way....

Truth is...I love the preserving process...It gives me such satisfaction....the same feeling when I serve dinner and all the veggies on the plate came from my garden...

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 8:30AM
More Discussions
What to direct seed in eastern pa
Hi everyone. I'm begining to plan my garden for spring,...
mfran12345
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
Cucumber leaves turning white
Hi, I am totally new to having any sort of garden and...
wanderess
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™