Why are ONLY my peppers withering/dying?

specialk_dJune 23, 2010

This is my first year of gardening. I have a small plot with tomatoes, zucchini, squash, string beans, okra & jalapenos & sweet peppers. Everything looks really great and has been producing vegetables, EXCEPT for the jalapenos and sweet peppers. All of those pepper plants look like their leaves are withering and being bug-eaten. I've used Sevin dust several times/week, but this seems to make no difference.

Do peppers need a different amount of sun or water than these other vegetables? What ideas do you have about helping them survive? Somehow I thought peppers were the most indestructible vegetables of them all, so I've been surprised by this.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardendawgie(5)

The oil spill dispersant is vaporizing into the rain and killing the entire East Coast.

http://frontpage.americandaughter.com/?p=4249

Here is a link that might be useful: Death from the oil spill

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 1:24AM
ikea_gw

Perhaps you should cut back on the Sevin. First of all, you should figure out what is actually eating your pepper. Is it tomato hornworm? They can do a lot of damage to pepper leaves and fruits. Search for tomato hornworm to see what they look like and see if you can find their poop under the peppers. Other than that, the only bug I ever found on mine was Japanese beetles and those are best picked off by hand.

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 9:12AM
kcnewb

My peppers are the only thing struggling in my garden also. In my case I think it is too much rain because they looked great before we started getting storms every other day or so for a couple weeks. Have you had a lot of rain lately?

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 11:33AM
wce5204

I am having problems with what seems to me to be bacterial wilt. I have great looking plants and poof over night they are wilted down. When I pull them up the stem at and below the soil line is mush. There is some fungus or mold growing around them. It happened to peppers for the most part and then a couple of tomatos this year it is peppers and a few potatoes. I did fully rotate the garden so I am just going to keep adding organic material and see what happens. I don't know if that is what is plagueing you or not could be worth a check.

Carl

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 6:31PM
More Discussions
Aphids from hell
So, I have some aphids that have been on my overwintering...
pinkiemarie
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
Bugs eating my Plants
Hi guys as it is my first time posting, I want to start...
SA_GardenMan
hand pollinate broccolini?
Thanks to you guys, I realized that I bought Broccoli...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™