Watermelon question

nickjoseph(5 Milwaukee, WI)July 28, 2014

I'm sorry.... I know watermelon is a fruit, but I had no idea where to post this, so please bear with me...
Okay, I read a couple different areas that thumping a watermelon to see if ripe is not the way to go. The articles (at least 2) said look at the base of the watermelon. It should look creamy yellow...NOT white or light green. It should have this brown, rough--what looks kind of like webbing. It is where the bees *kissed* it or in other words pollinated it. It's a bigger plus if there is a black substance that is coming out the end a little. This is sugar or sap. See my picture I took of our melon. It ended up being red and juicy, but not that sweet. How do you all tell if it is ripe and sweet?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

Like tomatoes, squash, eggplant etc watermelon is a fruiting vegetable. There are 4 commonly used signs that a watermelon is ripe. 1. The tendril where the stem attaches to the vine has dried up . 2, the area where the melon sits on the ground has changed color(easy with dark colored melons, more difficult with white melons) 3.The filmy glaze has faded. 4. Thumping (takes a good ear and experience but quite effective when perfected).

Ripe means a watermelon has completed its reproductive cycle. Sweetness is a characteristic of the variety and its growing conditions. There is wide variance among varieties for sweetness. Growing conditions including shade, stress, incomplete pollination etc can severly affect sweetness.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 7:29AM
More Discussions
What's up with these basil plants?
I planted these into my garden bed a week ago. I’ve...
Kim Kimura
mealybugs and leaf miners
How do you control mealy bugs and leaf miners on leafy...
kyrri
Garden row orientation: east-west, or north-south?
I'm wondering if there is any benefit to orientating...
nick_b79
Identifying garden pests
Dear Experts Could you figure what type of pests are...
zillah2004
lining bottom of raised bed for tomatoes
I keep reading advise about lining the bottom of raised...
sommardahl
Sponsored Products
Alliyah Handmade Watermelon New Zealand Blend Wool Rug (3 x 10)
Overstock.com
33" Optimum Stainless Steel Farmhouse Sink - Beveled Front
Signature Hardware
Henri De Rivel Rivella Show Jumping Saddle With Covered Flaps - 2049-R09C165
Hayneedle
Nelson | Pear Lamp
$329.00 | YLighting
Country Cast Iron Handrail Bracket - Black Powder Coat
Signature Hardware
Nelson | Cigar Lamp
$269.00 | YLighting
Royal-Pedic 4 in. Pillow Top Mattress Topper - TWIN PILLOW TOP PAD 4 IN.
Hayneedle
Texas Rangers Garden Flag
$8.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™