small weird hole in tomato fruits?

tornadolieseJuly 7, 2010

does anyone know what is causing this small hole. i saw it today for the first time. is it something that i should effect will bother ALL of my tomato plants and all of their fruit? whatever it is-- how can i get rid of it? these are my first tomatoes ever and i am so happy about them. don't want to lose them to weird holes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

There may be a caterpillar inside the fruit. I would pull and squish to keep it from damaging other fruit or the plant itself.

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 9:54AM
jimster(z7a MA)

Cut that fruit open to see if it contains a tomato fruit worm, a type of caterpillar. Tomato fruit worms usually bore into the fruit right under the edge of the calyx where the hole can be inconspicuous. Sometimes they will bore into the fruit as shown in your pic however.

Tomato fruit worms are difficult to control in my experience. Do some research and choose a method.

Jim

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 4:57PM
tornadoliese

i am going to have to task someone to cutting the tomato open to look for the worm. i'm such a wimp. thanks guys.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 1:08AM
chaman(z7MD)

It could be the early stage of EBR.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 7:45AM
mai

I had the EXACT same thing happen with mine this fall. I cut them open and nothing. no worms... just a perfectly circular hole bored out in my roma tomatoes. First it was just the one hole and then 2 days later it had 3 holes in it, and so did his little neighbors!

Did you ever find out what the cause was? I really want to stop it before it progresses any worse.

Bookmark   November 23, 2010 at 3:48PM
organicdan(z5b Nova Scotia)

It appears to be a form of cat-facing. Exact cause is hard to affix. It could be cold weather during pollination, possibly thrip initiated, or simply a genetic flaw. There is some suggestion that over pruning, particularly if dead-heading growing tips, reduces an essential nutrient component. I have found no problem in eating other than the desire to remove the disfigured segment.

Select varieties less prone to cat-facing.

Bookmark   November 23, 2010 at 8:38PM
mai

I had no idea what cat-facing was, thank you for the suggestion. Of all the pics that i looked up on it they seem to show deformity and lines connecting the holes. Mine does not show this. the holes are very clean and in no way deformed...

But it the weather might have dipped down during pollination, which would contribute to it. Read that it can also be caused by high nitrogen and stink bugs as well. I'm using 18-18-21 on it and I have seen a few stink bugs around. I'm just not completely convinced its catfacing atm. I'm glad to be informed about it now at the very least, and I'll keep watching for more signs of it (but hopefully they won't keep happening!).

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 11:42AM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

That's fruit worm damage. The caterpillar has already left the fruit.

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 3:26PM
ruport4_aol_com

I found the culprit. It is a caterpillar. It was suggested to use 2 Tbls Tabasco to 1 Liter of Water. I am going to try it because there is other damage evident on leaves of my tomato plants.

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 4:45PM
More Discussions
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
Cucumber Nutritional Deficiency
Hi guys, I'm a farmer based out of Shmedabad, Gujarat,...
dshaival
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™