whay's wrong with my eggplant

mina84July 20, 2014

Hello
I transplanted my eggplant to the big pot in the first week of June but until now it is very small, the growth is very slow, and some leaves turned yellow, I water it regularly, the pot is 5 gallon, good drainage, I transplanted it with my tomato, the tomato is doing well, can I hope to get some eggplant this year or it is too late for it to fininish its growth cycle.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maplegarden172(7a)

I have a 60' row of eggplants that are having a similar fate. I attributed most of the slow growth to my clay soil since a few extra plants ended up in a raised bed and they appear to be healthier and fuller looking. I do have flowers on about half now and a few fruits hanging. Soil doesn't look like your problem. Where are you? Here in southern NJ our high temps have been normal but lows are 10-15 below normal. We have had 90 deg days, nights in upper 50s. This has caused some problems. I have broccoli that just formed florets and my cabbage is heading a looking good in July. I think the cold night temps have had an affect on my eggplants, peppers and tomatos.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 8:06AM
mina84

Thank you for your reply,
I am in morgantown WV zone 6 ,I did not notice how was the tempreture but this sumer was more cloudy and rainy and had a lot of thunderstorms than sunny, i have the same problem with the bell pepper but tomato is doing well, is there still time for them to grow up and produce, or it is too late
thank you

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 10:08AM
theforgottenone1013(MI zone 5b/6a)

Looks like overwatering and lack of nutrients to me. Exactly how often are you watering? "I water it regularly" doesn't really tell much.

Rodney

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 10:52AM
mina84

i water it every morning, i was told vegetables need to be watered daily

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 11:44AM
mina84

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 11:45AM
Glo407

We're in So New Jersey also and our eggplants have started producing however our tomatoes are not turning red on the vine. Think its because this summer has been a bit cooler and much wetter than usual.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 12:19PM
theforgottenone1013(MI zone 5b/6a)

Vegetables that size do not need watered daily. Once every 4-5 days will probably be sufficient. Before watering stick your finger in the soil to see if it's moist. If it is, don't water. As it grows larger and the root mass increases it will need watering more frequently.

Rodney

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 10:34AM
howelbama(7 NJ)

5 gallons is also small for an eggplant. 10 gallons would be much better, bigger would be even better, but probably not necessary. And they only need to be watered when they need to be watered... there are too many variables to consider for anyone to tell you with certainty how often that is. Rodney is right, do the finger test to get a handle on how often to water.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 3:06PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

That is the problem.
Too much water also washes out nitrogen. Yellowing is a sign of over watering and nitogen deficiency.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 7:37PM
mina84

Thank you everybody, I think yes, I watered it too much
Do you think that it will be good if I water it properly, we are in the end of July, or it is too late for it

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 11:09AM
More Discussions
Cucumber Nutritional Deficiency
Hi guys, I'm a farmer based out of Shmedabad, Gujarat,...
dshaival
fertilizer for tomatoes
are tomatoes heavy feeders ? some say fertilize other...
westlaketomatoqueen
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
hand pollinate broccolini?
Thanks to you guys, I realized that I bought Broccoli...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™