Peas

hudson___wy(3)July 29, 2014

Do you support your peas - yes/no? If yes - what kind of support material do you use? Pros & cons of supporting peas? Photos help if you will share.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theforgottenone1013(MI zone 5b/6a)

Tall varieties I definitely support otherwise they'll flop over. I grow them up a cheap plastic fence stapled to wooden 2x2 stakes. The trellis is about 7 feet tall and when I'm done using it I roll it all up and put it into storage.

Earlier this year I planted a solid bed of a couple short varieties and let them support themselves. A little messy looking but it worked okay.

Rodney

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 9:37AM
yolos - z 7b/8a Ga.

I use EMT posts with nylon trellis material.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 9:18PM
hudson___wy(3)

holy cow - what variety are those peas? They are climbers! Those poles must be 6' tall?

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 11:19PM
wertach zone 7-B SC

"holy cow - what variety are those peas? They are climbers! Those poles must be 6' tall?"

I would like to know what variety also!

I think they are probably 8' tall since EMT comes in 10' sections!

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 11:28AM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Yeah, definitely support. Especially snap peas which are over 6' now, and I use a little chicken wire for shell peas.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 7:12PM
tracydr(9b)

I always grow Tall Telegraph. I use nylon net or cattle panels. They can get very tall and with good production for a pea. I've always had to grow in part-shade in AZ because the early spring weather can be too hot. Now, in NC, I'll try them in as much sun as I can find on my fully wooded acreage.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 8:32PM
yolos - z 7b/8a Ga.

The EMT posts are 8 feet tall. There are two varieties of peas planted in the bed. Green Arrow shelling pea and Wando shelling pea. Both varieties grew to the same height. The package for Wando says 18 to 30 inches tall. A little variance in the height from the package. It was real aggravating because they were so tall they climbed up the trellis that I was saving for the cucumbers. The Green Arrow pea package says "plants reach only two feet tall.". I used home grown compost (mostly leaves & grass) as a fertilizer and even though they grew real tall they were also very prolific. Therefore, I do not think the height was a result of excess nitrogen. The same thing happened to my pink eye purple hull peas (Coronet). The package said "compact, 24 inch tall plants that don't need staking". Well they are 8 feet tall and hanging over the top of the trellis.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 9:41PM
More Discussions
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
Radish in Miami
I grow mostly tomatoes, but once in a while I plant...
garf_gw
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
Who is gardening right now? Show me pictures
I spent my day in the garden. My turnips and kale made...
katy_bug
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™