trying garlic for the 1st time

cjtabares(MA Zone 6)July 21, 2012

I will be planting garlic for the first time this October. I will be trying Chinese Pink, Polish Softneck, Cascade Rose, Music, and Spanish Roja. Any tips or suggestions. Oh and I ordered 8 oz of each.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mari_88(7a)

I have heard good things about chinese pink and music. Ill be trying chinese red and pink music this year. Check out wegrowgarlic.com and do some searches over on the allium forum. Lots of great advice!

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 10:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
defrost49

I don't even know what variety I'm growing but it's a hard neck. I garden in NH. Just follow directions planting in healthy garden soil. I top my garden beds with composted horse manure each spring. Keep the beds weeded.
Last week, we harvested the garlic and I'm really pleased with the size. Enjoy garlic scapes from hard necks in the spring/early summer. Harvest the scapes when they make a full circle but before they curl any further (they are toughening). I read that when a scape points upward, garlic is ready to harvest and that is what I did this year. I recently read that each layer of browned leaves represents the paper layer on the bulb and that it is cured.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 7:43AM
More Discussions
pepper with Brown spots
I researched about this disease and it says that a...
keyki5
Worth time and supplies to plant old seeds?
I have seeds ranging from one year to probably about...
malkar
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™