ID for plant and a bug

springtogarden(6)July 19, 2014

I inherited a very large, broad, green leafy plant from a rented plot. I have no idea what it is. My camera isn't great so I will try to get better pics.

I also have a bug that I am not familiar with. It looks like a harlequin bug but is tan with a black V on its back. It looks like the harlequin bug here but different color: https://www.flickr.com/photos/boobook48/4287680086/
Looks like it might have wings and it has antennas.
It is really interested in my radishes but can't tell if it is doing damage. I have a picture to show the color but it is a terrible photo and you can only see the color. I think it is a bad bug.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
springtogarden(6)

Picture of the bug for color but not much else. Sorry for low quality pic!

Update: I live in the Pacific Northwest and read the harlequin bugs aren't common north of the Rockies so now I am second guessing myself. Could it be a tan/light brown squash bug? Do squash bugs hang around radishes? Except for one, I found them all on radish tops.

This post was edited by gardengal13 on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 9:53

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 8:56AM
springtogarden(6)

Another pic of mystery plant

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 8:59AM
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

Horseradish is the plant. The bug looks like some sort of plant bug (meaning a certain family of bugs, includes stinkbugs, harlequin bugs, squash bugs, leaffooted bug, assassin bugs). That single bug is notnlikely doing any noticable damage, I would worry if you found lots of them in one place.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 10:07AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

If you want an ID of the insect, we will need a better picture. Scoop one up in a container and freeze it for a couple of hours. That might not kill it but it will slow it down long enough for you to take some useful pictures.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 10:18AM
springtogarden(6)

Is that what that is? My word I would have never guessed a horseradish plant! I've never grown one before and I was way off on what family it belonged to lol. I did find about 5 bugs. 2 on each side of my plot and one towards the end ( I have one big plot at a community garden). I have a lot of lady bugs and I have seen webs so I have spiders plus I have seen a beetle that eats bugs and two Daddy Long Leg spiders so maybe they will balance them out?! If not, I can hand pick them off into a soapy water. I just didn't want to kill them in case they were beneficial. Thanks so much for your help :)!

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 10:20AM
springtogarden(6)

rhizo_1, I will be back to the plot on Monday and will borrow someone's camera. Mine is the worst for small things. Zooming makes it blurry but far away looks like a brown dot so I will post some pics then. Thanks for looking :)!

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 10:25AM
More Discussions
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Melon transplants or direct seed?
I've read and heard conflicting info on this... what...
formerly_creativeguy
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™