Store bought Golden Honeydew Seeds

Jeremy_Jay(KY)July 21, 2011

Hi,

I bought a Golden Honeydew melon from Sam's Club the other day and my wife loved it. So I rinsed the seeds and have them drying out to plant next year.

My ? is is this a hybrid? Can I get a good fruit from these seeds? On the label it said "Kandy" at the top.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

It's a hybrid in the winter melon category so imported to the US this time of year. Seeds, if planted, will likely revert to one of the parent varieties but you can always give it a try. Lots of info available about it via Google.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Honeydew Melon

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 10:07AM
farmerdill

It will be a hybrid. There are many varieties of honeydew which have golden rinds. These are probably grown in California or Mexico and have a longer DTM than you probably want for Kentucky. Kroger had a shipment in this past week, but Iwas no interested so I did not check the label. There are earlier varieties for the east which do not grow as large. Wax gourd/ winter melon would not confused with a honeydew.

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 11:54AM
happyday(WI4a)

I've grown melons from store bought and gotten both good and bad results. You won't know for sure until you try. Plant a few right now and see what happens before frost. You'll have time to maybe mature a couple of fruits, especially if you remove all subsequent fruits so the plant has to pour all its energy into the two you left on the vine.

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 1:58PM
Jeremy_Jay(KY)

Thanks for the advise. I think I will just but some hybrid seeds for next year. I didnt even think about the DTM. I planted regular honeydews this year and should have mature melons next month. Id hate to have to wait until winter for a melon!

@happyday

Ill give that a try. I have some space on the side of my house that just sits there, might as well plant something.

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 2:12PM
More Discussions
weed or seedling
In the area of this seedling my daughter put radish...
sepulvd
tomatoes
What's your favorite?
sweetgardenangel
Why is Zucchini Stem Splitting?
This is my first year growing zucchini. It's in a container...
Cliff Pruitt
cutworms and diatomaceous earth
I had regular problems with cutworms and seedlings....
daninthedirt
How to identify pressure treated lumber?
I live near an empty plot of land home site that has...
uscjusto
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™