Marina de Chioggia on a trellis?

erin_nc(7)July 13, 2014

Has anyone grown Marina de Chioggia squash on a trellis? If so, did you need special support for each squash as it grew or is it like Bird House Gourd- strong enough to hold its own fruit?

Thanks!
Erin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

Winter squash have pretty strong stems and that one averages about 10 lbs. Vine will probably hold it if the trellis will.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 9:28AM
LKZZ(7b)

I've got some butternut growing up the fence. Not planning to disturb it...

Winter Squash have tendrils so they like to climb...but this is a pumpkin that appears to get quite large. See the comments at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marina Di Chioggia Pumpkin

This post was edited by LKZZ on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 11:50

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 11:46AM
erin_nc(7)

Thanks for the feedback and link! I have 4 or 5 growing now. The vines are well beyond 20' and are taking over the county. The borers took out several other summer varieties but seems to not have made a dent in the Marinas.

My arbor is 16' high x 16' square at the top. No worries about being strong enough. 6x6 posts holing 2x8 joists. All connected with 2x2's. I've been growing gourds and luffa, but would rather use the space for something with nutritional value.

Besides, a person can only use and give away so much gourd and luffa. Freecycle.com is my friend.

I am so impressed with these Marina plants. No mold or borer damage. We'll see what happens when the squash bugs arrive. Either way I will definitely grow these next year on my arbor.

Thanks again!

Erin

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 6:13PM
More Discussions
Cucumber leaves turning white
Hi, I am totally new to having any sort of garden and...
wanderess
Giant Noble Spinach
I started this variety in my grow closet (which is...
thedudefrom1976
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
What to direct seed in eastern pa
Hi everyone. I'm begining to plan my garden for spring,...
mfran12345
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™