Removing brussels sprouts leaves

bomber095(z5b MA)July 11, 2014

I have been reading from multiple sources that you should remove the lower leaves of brussels sprouts plants as they mature. My question is when do you do it? I've got five plants, all around 2' tall. They look great, so I want to make sure I dont do anything prematurely

Also, the stalks arent very big around yet, maybe 1.5" diameter. When does that 'round out'?

Here is a link that might be useful: Brussels sprouts picture

This post was edited by bomber095 on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 9:26

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Some do and some don't. Try both and see which works best for you. The theory is that trimming them back to about 1" out from the main stem allows the sprouts to grow bigger/rounder as they aren't compressed by the branches and they get better sun exposure.

You can see in your photo how crowded it can get in there. But don't remove them until the sprout is at least thumbtip size and don't trim too close and undermine the sprout itself. Based on your photo I'd trim off about 4-5 leaves coming up from the bottom and leave the rest for a bit more as the sprouts are still pretty small.

Toward harvest time (after a good fall frost) you'll find yourself with a stalk with just a top tuft of leaves. Then just harvest the whole stalk.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: pics of trimmed and untrimmed BS plants

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 7:19PM
christinering

I didn't know to do this, so I'm glad you asked this question!

For those of you who have grown brussels sprouts before, do you eat the leaves you trim off? Could I just chop them up and cook them like cabbage?

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 7:49PM
theforgottenone1013(MI zone 5b/6a)

"Could I just chop them up and cook them like cabbage?"

If you want to eat them, you might want to think of them more along the lines of kale or collards rather than cabbage.

Rodney

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 8:32PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Don't care for them personally. Fibrous, tough and chewy. If you do I suggest you cut out the central rib of the leaves before cooking them.

Dave

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 9:54PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Cutting off the lower leaves seems to be a US thing. It's not something I've ever seen in gardening books or advice here so clearly it doesn't really matter either way. The lower leaves yellow and drop anyway as the season progresses. In late winter you can cut out the top of the plant and eat it like cabbage. It is tender and tastier then cabbage imo. It is sold here as 'sprout tops'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sprout tops

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 1:09PM
planatus(6)

I have taste tested the best of the b sprout leaves, the little topknot of foliage that comes on late, in cool weather, and it was spit-out bad.

I leave the lower leaves on until harvest time begins. As with other cabbages, they naturally shed as the plants age, and want to be pulled off.

My big seedlings started in early June will go out this week. It's a strange planting schedule, but that's how we get sweet sprouts in Oct and Nov.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 7:07AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Well, planatus - that's depressing to hear. Maybe you chose a bad bunch, cooked them in a way that didn't suit them or they just aren't to your taste but they are a delicious veggie in my view and, as I said, are harvested and marketed as a seasonal vegetable in their own right here. I would hate people to be put off trying them by your experience.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sprout tops - again.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 7:22AM
More Discussions
Unforecasted late frost
I'm pretty much a newbie. I transplanted a yellow...
Katie Gooding
Growing malabar spinach
I want to grow malabar spinach, but I do not have a...
robert2014 zone 5b
Sweet potato slips have white crystals on lower leaves...is that bad?
I bought multiple sweet potatoes from the store to...
armbarangel
Greenland Gardener Raised Garden Kit
Picked up 2 of these from Walmart yesterday to grow...
onkloudnyne
Garden Huckleberry
Hey folks, I thought Id mention a new crop which we...
macmex
Sponsored Products
Ganesha Pillow - Gold
| Dot & Bo
Sleep Sync 6-inch Twin-size Memory Foam Mattress and Posture Support Platform Fr
Overstock.com
Bellosguardo King Flat Sheet - REGATTA CREAM (KING FLAT)
$149.90 | Horchow
48" POLYWOOD Chippendale Bench
Fifthroom.com
Weston Leaves and Berries Single Panel Fireplace Screen
Signature Hardware
Bombe Urn Table Lamp by Global Views
| Lumens
Peri Bronze Two-Light Bath Fixture with Vanilla Matte Glass
$238.50 | Bellacor
Emerson Dining Outdoor Side Chair, Patio Furniture
$795.00 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™