Corn stalks only needed?

xxnonamexxJuly 20, 2012

We have been running a Halloween event in the fall using a corn field maze the past 3 years. Year 1 we used Indian corn with success besides chipmunks eating kernels and deer trampling the plants it was a success. We transplanted stalks and they made it for the season. Last year we tried a hybrid corn but chipmunks over took it. This year we have kernels from a local farmer. We just need the stalks as opposed to the fruit we have 1/3 knee to waist high. 2/3s knee high and 1/3 we transplanted from pods 2k of them into the ground that are above ankle. Any assistance to help in making sure these stalks keep growing until October? We noticed some are turning a bit yellow which we will be fertilizing and Miracle growing. Any other assistance greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

It's corn. Fertilize and water as much as possible. That's really all there is to it.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 10:49AM
ltilton

You could try broom corn in the future.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 11:07AM
weirdtrev

I was surprised when I first saw this, but there is actually a type of corn called 'Maze Corn' from Rupp Seed. And that is not maize like what the native Americans called it. Instead it is corn bred for making mazes, it grows tiny soft ears for those pesky kids that like to pick the ears and throw them at each other. It's a great way to reduce your liabilities in a corn maze.

It is on page 60 of this catalog

And this is the description "Used for corn mazes, ears do not produce kernels without cross pollination from another cultivar. Reduces injury if ear is thrown."

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 12:14PM
xxnonamexx

Thanks a lot I guess water and fertilizer will do it for this year. What about adding lime to the fertilizer? Also we planted them in rows we have some that clumped like 10 stalks too close to each other. We are afraid to break them apart in fear of killing the stalks so we are going to just let them grow. Weeds have been rampant, besides pulling the weeds out any advice on what to use to kill the weeds and protect the stalks? thanks

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 12:26PM
xxnonamexx

this is from the first week of July I will take an updated one this weekend. The stalks and triple the size but weeds are abundant.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 12:29PM
xxnonamexx

I hope this photo attaches from July 4th now weeds are abundant and stalks about triple the size I have to update the photos.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 12:32PM
RpR_(3-4)

In the future use field corn designed for silage.
RH Shumway's is one place you can get it in larger but not have to get huge farm field quantities.

There are other places you can also get it but it is designed to be tall and most often is a long term corn i.e. is does not ripen for at least 120 days past planting.
Some types have ears that are high enough kids and short adults will not be able to reach them.

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 11:15PM
xxnonamexx

Thanks We will look into that for next year. Now we need to worry about getting this years crop ready.

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 7:49AM
More Discussions
Will I be too late to start a vegetable garden for the summer?
Hello! My husband and I will be moving from Florida...
merritt623
What's up with these basil plants?
I planted these into my garden bed a week ago. I’ve...
Kim Kimura
WHO calls Roundup a probable carcinogen
Very interesting... I tend to remain neutral towards...
Peter (6b SE NY)
jute for vines?
I picked up some jute twine to trellis my beans, cucumbers...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
I really messed up, who can help? Tomato expert needed...
I planted beefsteak and July 4th tomatoes and didn't...
dwyerkg
Sponsored Products
Eastwood Single Arm Sofa - Key Largo Pumice Beige
Joybird Furniture
White Hardwood Printer Stand
Overstock.com
Brynmar Collection 12" High Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
TOTO Guinevere(TM) Single Handle Lavatory Faucet
Modern Bathroom
Chatham Antique Nickel One-Light Bath Fixture
$268.00 | Bellacor