Fungal strawberry plants and runners

clyleJuly 26, 2014

Hello everyone, I bought a batch of strawberry plants from my local garden center and the entire batch had bad fruits with curling up leaves. I'm led to believe they are infected by mildew or some sort fo fungal issue

After I removed this container from my existing batch some of my origin plants have now got the same issue.

My main question is, I have a lot of runners from my original plants that are now infected, are these plants and runners no good or can the plant and runners be saved?

I would hate to throw out lots of strawberry plants and not use all the runners.

many thanks,
Chris.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

I think you need to be more specific about the disease and its symptoms on your plants.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 4:55PM
theforgottenone1013(MI zone 5b/6a)

A photo will definitely help. And you might want to cross post this over on the Fruit forum.

Rodney

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit & Orchards Forum

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 4:58PM
clyle

Hello, I grabbed some pics today.

The symptoms of the plants are:
Strawberry fruits looking like they have grown with splits on them
The leave are curling upwards
Now the runners have started to curl, but only on the plants which have curling leaves.

I have added some picture.
Thanks

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 3:56PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

If you only bought them recently I'd take them back. If you've had them a while and not planted them out they will be stressed and susceptible to disease. I'm a cheap skate and would probably try to revive them by removing any fruit, planting out and watering copiously but counsel of perfection would probably be to burn them. The curled leaves look like thirst to me.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 4:37PM
ltilton

Could the thirst, could be trace deficiency, could indeed be fungus, powdery mildew.

Wondering if the stems and/or runners are turning black.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 5:18PM
clyle

I bought them many months ago, the leaves seam to have a powdery underneath. If the main plants cant be saved do I need to destroy all the runners also, I have so many and I was hoping to grow more for next years plants.

They have been well watered and some of the others that are starting share a bucket with healthy looking plants. I would like to be able to at least save the runners.

Chris

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 11:26AM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

It sounds like a fungus...which is (probably) an opportunist due to stressed conditions. Treating with a fungicide and correcting dryness or wetness or whatever other environmental stress made them susceptible to the fungus in the first place.

However, that's a definite guess and please don't take it as authoritative.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 11:31AM
More Discussions
Potatoes and snakes
Perhaps you all can debunk an absurd concern I've had...
formerly_creativeguy
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
Can I use grape leaves as mulch?
I have alot of chopped and dried grape vine leaves....
zzackey
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™