Zucchini plant rotting stems

buford(7 NE GA)July 9, 2011

I have a zucchini plant that had been doing very well. It had 3 main stems. Yesterday I noticed that one part of one stem the leaves had shriveled up and that part was separated from the stalk and I pulled it off. This morning, one of the other entire stalks separated from it's base. The parts that separated appeared as if they rotted away, they were soft and mushy and a light brown color. I still have one base left that I just harvested a large zuke from and there is another one growing on that plant.

Any idea what causes this? Too much water, not enough sun? This plant is in a 10 gallon smart pot (fabric). It had just started to spill over the sides, it's it possible that the strain of the weight of the plant caused this? Will the stems that remain in the ground continue to grow? I'm afraid I've lost the leader and will get no more fruit.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Sure sounds like SVB (squash vine borers) to me.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: SVB

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 10:18AM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Buford, do you have room somewhere else to plant more zucchini? I'm starting more in the next week or two, when squash vine borer and cuke beetles are typically on decline. Just choose a completely different spot, a piece away from your other plants that died. I'm starting more cukes for this reason too....

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 1:37PM
buford(7 NE GA)

Correct. I skewered one of the worms just now. I only hope the remaining vine is ok. I see slits in it, but no 'frass'. I knew my little zucchini machine was too good to be true.

Thanks

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 1:41PM
buford(7 NE GA)

Hi ggg, I have all my plants in smart pots. So I can just dump the soil and start fresh. I just pulled a huge zucchini off the plant, so I hate to give it up. I think I may be able to save one stalk, but if not, I will try another squash. I am going to HD to get some BT and another squash plant.

What kills me is that I think I saw the moth. A black and red thing. But I didn't know what it was, so I left it alone. I wish I would have killed it. My cuke hasn't been affected yet as far as I can see. It was much smaller than the squash plant when we started them and is just now getting big. So maybe it bypassed the borers. But I will put BT on it anyway and keep looking for eggs.

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
Looking for Actaea 'Black Negligee' seeds
Anybody has Avtaea 'Black Negliee' seeds for postage...
jennyleerskov
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
Who do you gift your veges to?
When working, I always brought a bag of veges to work...
nancyjane_gardener
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™