Strange growth on tassel of corn.

hnycrk(8a)July 4, 2013

Was looking this morning and noticed this strange growth on one of the tassels of my corn. Anyone have any idea as to what it might be. I was thinking maybe corn smut, but I could only find pics of it on the cob and not the tassels. Should I pull this one plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Yes that's smut. You can destroy the tassel if you like. No need to destroy the whole plant. At the stage your corn is the infection period of the ears, where infection matters, is over.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 10:06AM
sweetquietplace(6 WNC Mtn.)

We've had rain every single day here, so I'm thinking that they must be barnacles!

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 10:06AM
hnycrk(8a)

So further research led me to find that corn smut fungus also called huitlacoche in Mexico is eatin and sold as a delicacy. Some corn growers actually inncoluate their fields of corn with spores of the fungus because the huitlacoche is worth more than the corn itself. Maybe I'm on to something here!

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 6:50PM
brittanyw(8a)

Save it and eat it! I hear it's put in quesadillas sometimes. I think I've also heard it has a strong, perhaps acquired taste, but I can't find any corroboration via googling, so I might be wrong about that. Anyway, if you can do something with it, why toss it?

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 6:57PM
tdscpa(z5 NWKS)

Be careful with that. It must be cooked, toxic raw. Find cooking instructions from a source you trust.

Those look too old to consume. They need to be harvested at a less mature stage.

This post was edited by tdscpa on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 4:51

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 4:48AM
More Discussions
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
Cucumber Nutritional Deficiency
Hi guys, I'm a farmer based out of Shmedabad, Gujarat,...
dshaival
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™