Pumpkin pollination question.

edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)July 8, 2012

I have a container pumpkin with a female flower that bloomed this am. The problem is that there are no males available. The closest male to blooming is about one or two days away. What is the window for pollinating the female? Can I wait a day or does it have to be done today? Thanks. Ed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrybull

the window for me is 2 days. if your male is "real close" you can manually open it.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 10:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Terry thanks. I did manually open a couple of the males and did the best I could. Didn't see much pollen. Oh well. Apparently my window was a little smaller. The blossom must have opened very early this am, and by noon, after a few hours in the sun, it was shriveled and closed. We shall see. There will be more males and females....I just hated to see this nice female go to waste. Funny, one of my container watermelons did the same thing....female first. I've never seen that before. I'm guessing it's because the container stuff grows super fast early in the plants life, especially this year with perfect growing conditions. Thanks again. Ed.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 12:13PM
More Discussions
Puzzled with my bell pepper plants
I have been harvesting from the same plant since last...
jacat426
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
Cucumber Nutritional Deficiency
Hi guys, I'm a farmer based out of Shmedabad, Gujarat,...
dshaival
Where is the sweet potato post?
Someone on here wanted to know if sweet potatoes would...
zzackey
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™