tasteless tomatoes

gdnh(5)July 31, 2014

Tomatoes taste like supermarket tomatoes!!! Maybe it is cos a lot of rain this season washed the flavor out? I will have to put them in a salad and slather with creamy dressing - sad!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

What varieties are you talking about? Yes, excess amounts of rainfall does affect the flavor (and texture) of tomatoes and other fruits and veggies.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 12:23PM
mdfarmer

Early tomatoes tend to taste kind of blah for me as well, but it's because i'm anxious for the first tomatoes and pick them too soon. If i leave them on the vine a few days more they're good. I have the same problem in the fall, when temps cool and it takes tomatoes a few days longer to ripen.

I've only grown one type of tomato that was bad no matter how long it sat on the vine - It was a roma tomato with a name something like Grendaro.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 1:16PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Mdfarmer....you are so right; tomatoes need some heat and sun on them before they will taste good.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 1:54PM
glib(5.5)

With July highs averaging about 75 and lots of rain (I have watered some of my beds once this year, and some not at all), my tomatoes will be tasteless too when they ripen (I have eaten a few cherry toms). You can not expect good tomatoes every year in Zone 5, unless you are in the desert. I always have 85% of the garden in roots and leaves, and those give a crop every year.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 5:04PM
ltilton

Often, if one crop washes out, another one will thrive.

This has been a great year for leafy stuff here. Anything else ...

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 8:36PM
gdnh(5)

That is correct leafy stuff has thrived also cukes (21 jars of pickles in basement) so I should not complain. I will try to leave tomatoes on plant longer maybe that will help

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 9:30AM
elisa_z5

Must be a matter of type, too. We've only hit 80 once or twice this July, with nights in the 40's and a couple days only in the upper 50's -- my sauce tomatoes are ripening v. slowly, and are nothing special taste-wise. However, my Sun Golds are stupendous, as always (also ripening v. slowly)

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 9:36AM
More Discussions
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™