Slightly bolted spinach- OK to eat?

bananastandJuly 2, 2013

My spinach was a total bust this year. Started out teeny, then immediately bolted. I haven't gotten to eat any of it. When it started to bolt, I pinched developing flowerheads off. Then this weekend I pulled it all because it was starting again. I salvaged what leaves I could. Can I eat them or will they taste bitter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weirdtrev

It depends, eat it and find out if it is acceptable to you or not. I've never had a problem with bitter bolted spinach though, lettuce is another story.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 11:33AM
Slimy_Okra(2b)

Yes but you may find it bitter. Cooking with white wine willl help reduce the bitterness.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 2:03PM
weedlady(Central OH 6)

If a raw leaf tases bitter to you, try blanching the leaves first in rapidly boiling water for 30 seconds and then into another pot of boiling water briefly. That's how bitter wild greens are handled in order to get rid of some of the bitter principle. ('Course, spinach greens are a lot less durable than dandelion greens!)
Just a thought. Of course, anything composted is never really wasted! :-)

I always plant Swiss chard in addition to spinach. Slower-growing but more reliably tasty for weeks beyond the time spinach has bolted.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
Giant Noble Spinach
I started this variety in my grow closet (which is...
thedudefrom1976
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™