No bitter melon fruit.

aaaaaaaa(6)July 21, 2008

Hi,

I have read this before in one of the post--searched but could not locate the exact problem.

I am growing bitter melon in a container. Vines looks quite healthy and happy. There are several flowers, however there is no fruit. Is it because I am growing BM in container or there is any thing else to it. Soil is Miracle grow. Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks

a

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lzyjo(7)

The female flowers should follow shortly. Male flowers are borne on a long spindly stem. Behind the female flower there is a tiny bitter melon, less than 1" long.

I have read posts on GW were people waited weeks for female flowers. I think it was the Asian veggie forum.

Something munched off the tips of mine when it was small. I think this may have caused the plant to put out side shoots, where the female flowers are formed, sooner.

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 12:45PM
chaman(z7MD)

Look for female amd male flowers as shown in pic.

Pic. of female and male flower of bittermelon.

I could not capture the female flower with fruit.Look for the flower with fruit.This one is a female flower.One without a fruit is male flower.
I am posting male and female flowers of Zuccini just for illustration to distinguish male and female flowers.

Pic. of Zucchini flowers.

Another problem may be absence of pollinators.In this case you may hand pollinate.Pick the male flower (one without small fruit) and transfer the pollon to the near by female flower rubbing flowers face to face.

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 3:26PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

I agree with the comments above. One other factor could be over-fertilization. With too much N, the vines will have lush growth, but few flowers. Bitter melon does best if you fertilize lightly, use slow-release organic fertilizers, or withhold fertilizer until several fruit have set.

The vines also require full sun to produce a good yield.

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 5:00PM
chaman(z7MD)

Along with full sun as zeedman has mentioned in above posting BM plants love moisture.I spread hay around the plants to retain moisture.

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 5:10PM
aaaaaaaa(6)

Thanks for your replies guys. Chaman, thanks for photos and explanation. I did notice at least 5 small bm fruits when observed closely.
thanks
a

Bookmark   July 24, 2008 at 12:30PM
aaaaaaaa(6)

Hi,
Finally, I got about 5 BMs. Now, the new small BMs are turning yellow. What could be the reason? Too much fertilizer, lack of space(because they are growing in pots)??

Thanks
a

Bookmark   August 18, 2008 at 10:15AM
sundarms74

may be the small BMs are not ripe .they r unpollinated flowers

Bookmark   September 28, 2014 at 9:11AM
More Discussions
ancient
this news just in-23 year old lettuce seeds do not...
davids10 z7a nv.
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow in organic vegetables in coco coir ans spray...
little sur farm
Melon transplants or direct seed?
I've read and heard conflicting info on this... what...
formerly_creativeguy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™