quick help, my botanicizers!

catalina_101(UK)March 27, 2006

I'm doing a translation (Span to Eng) and there's a word, ojo which literally means "eye" but also means "daisy". This story I'm translating revolves around a misunderstanding over the word ojo. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how I'd translate that. So far I think I might use Iris, but you guys are infinitely brilliant and might have something even better :D

It has to be one word (eg. Iris) that could be misconstrued for eyes. (EG Black eyed Susan wouldn't work).

Annny suggestions are lovely!

Hope all are well, take care!

kat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fishies(Ottawa z4a or 5)

Kat - Iris sounds like the best option to me! And aren't we lucky that English also has an eye/flower word? What are the chances?!?

Shelly

PS - you know you're brilliant, right? I would NEVER, in a hundred thousand kajillion years, have EVER thought of Iris.

Bookmark   March 27, 2006 at 4:43PM
jeffrey_harris(San Diego, CA)

Hi Kat,

One more:

1) Orbea

but, paraphrasing Ms. S. above, Iris is more better.

Bookmark   March 27, 2006 at 5:20PM
ooojen(z4MN)

Iris is very good if you can work it in. The only problem could be that people don't usually talk about other people's ocular irises unless they're being pretty technical...I mean, it'd be odd to say, "She has very pretty irises" in place of "She has very pretty eyes". It suggests that other parts of her eyes are somewhat less attractive. Like I said, it depends on how it's going to be worked into the story. You could even go back to the roots of "daisy", which'd be MOL, "Day's Eye".

If you were writing the story from scratch instead of translating, I could see some great comedy-of-errors possibilities with using orbea!

Best of luck with your translation!

Bookmark   March 27, 2006 at 5:44PM
More Discussions
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
What is wrong with my dieffenbachia?
It looks droopy. And leaves are yellowing one by one....
bluehaven_gweb
Avocado Plant Dying
I bought this grafted dwarf Wurtz avocado tree this...
nobbyv77
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™