Springtime in Denver

larry_b(Zone5/CO)April 18, 2006

Hi all,

Our crab apple is in full bloom. This spring has been void of frost and the flowers on this tree are just spectacular! I hope your spring is just as lovely.

Larry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

We also have a bunch daffadils next to the driveway. It was dificult to get a very good picture of the flowers because they are a cream color that is very easily washed out in the direct sunlight. Even so, they are pretty.

Bookmark   April 18, 2006 at 5:54AM
tootswisc(z4/5Wi)

Ir's springtime in Wisconsin too! Don't you just love crab apples. Great pictures Larry

Bookmark   April 18, 2006 at 8:41AM
fishies(Ottawa z4a or 5)

Lovely tree and flowers, Larry! I just heard two of my neighbours talking about the lilacs blooming already. Haven't seen any myself yet, but let me tell you: I can't wait! :)

Bookmark   April 18, 2006 at 9:52AM
ooojen(z4MN)

Those are beautiful!!! We're a bit behind you, but the Chionodoxa are blooming, along with some wildflowers -Bloodroot, Dutchman's Breeches (not PC? Dicentra something-or-other, I think), Spring Beauties, Hepatica, trout lilies... I love it!

Are you CO folks spared the blight that has hit our crabapples here in MN? Ours yellow in late July or early Aug. I hear there are some new resistant varieties out, and I'm going to look into them, because I just love flowering crabapples. Again, you're is just beautiful-- Daffodils are too!

Ooo, lilacs mean not only that heady scent, but also concurrent morels :) Another couple weeks, here, I expect.

Bookmark   April 18, 2006 at 1:50PM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hi Jen,

Are you talking about fire blight? Yes, we have that out here and it can be a real problem with our tree. The biggest problem is if we have a wet Spring. In that case the tree will be covered with flagging. It has been so bad in the past that I have really considered cutting the tree down. It's too expensive to have a tree trimmer to come out every summer to trim it.

This spring has been very dry so I'm hoping that we won't see much if any fire blight on the tree this year.

Larry

Bookmark   April 18, 2006 at 11:34PM
More Discussions
Why does my anthirium want to commit suicide?
This is my anthirium and it is slowly dying? Judging...
sturmzie
Fiddle Leaf Ficus brown edges, lighter color veins
I have the Fiddle Leaf Ficus for 2 years now. It was...
vlauz7b
Has anybody seen the micro ZZ Plant "Zamicro"?
They are a smaller amd more compact cultivar of the...
tlbean2004
Peperomia "Rosso"
I bought this plant recently....does anyone else have...
RioSeven
The "Show Off" Thread
I love coming to this site for all kinds of useful...
savannaicus
Sponsored Products
NFL Denver Broncos Grill Rectangular: 3 Ft. 5 In. x 2 Ft. 1 In. Mat
$35.95 | Bellacor
Red Vanilla Dutch Garden 16-piece Dinner Set
Overstock.com
DENY Designs Arcturus Bloom 1 Outdoor Throw Pillow - 15655-OTHRP18
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Giulia Blue and Green 18 x 18 Floral Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
101 Uses for a Golden Book
$13.50 | FRONTGATE