Kitten SOS

Mentha(9 CA)May 3, 2006

Any of you homesteading types, could you please tell me of an antibiotic safe for a 6 week kitten? I have one which was attacked by a rabbit which adopted our yard. I had to super-glue it's skin together, but I'm unsure of an antibiotic. I usually use a spray antibiotic, but don't want to since he's likely to get sick from licking it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeffrey_harris(San Diego, CA)

Mentha,

If at all possible, I would get Kitten to a vet ASAP. I know this doesn't answer your question, but for one so young, professional help is best.

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 12:18PM
Mentha(9 CA)

Thanks for the suggestion Jeff, but the only other option it has is euthination. Hubby gave him a week for me to decide. It's holding up very well, he ran today :) so unless it gets infected it will be fine.

The only animals I've taken to the vet are things like spay/neuter, or a scratched out eye, dog attack, or emergency c-section on large livestock. If it were a large farm animal it would go to the vet. Everything else I treat myself or put the animal down. I have some terramyacin but when I tried to google it with 'oral' and 'cat' I got kind of disgusted. I don't want to use it unless it's needed. I just have it on hand if I do.

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 3:50PM
jeffrey_harris(San Diego, CA)

Mentha,

Then I would go ahead with just keeping it clean, and maybe feeding Kitty with some vitamins in its food - maybe you can wipe the wounded area(s) with alcohol?

There's this supplement (don't know the name, but we called it 'Kitty Steroids') that comes in a tube and is supposed to supllement mother's milk.

Best of luck with him - he sounds like a fighter.

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 4:16PM
Mentha(9 CA)

kitty steroids hehe. He's still nursing, so maybe he'll pick up her antibodies also. I also have some milk replacement, I could give him some of that also. I need some betadine so I'm going to go to the vet supply as soon as hubs gets paid.

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 5:30PM
More Discussions
Who am I?
I was at WM and this fellow was on clearance and jumped...
savannaicus
The "Show Off" Thread
I love coming to this site for all kinds of useful...
savannaicus
Can i repot a pothos by sticking it in a larger pot and adding soil?
I have some pothos that are in 4 inch pots. I need...
tlbean2004
House plant identification please
I bought this little plant at Walmart yesterday but...
wpark2419
Only 1/2 of a schefflera remaining...
4 years ago, I adopted this schefflera from a bank...
greenintrigue
Sponsored Products
Orange Kitten Cookie Jar
$29.99 | zulily
Cat n Around Wands - Glitter Wands - 01060
$14.99 | Hayneedle
Handmade Safavieh Wildlife Napping Kitten Wool Rug (2' x 3')
Overstock.com
Bath Towel - KITTEN GRAY (BATH TOWEL)
$12.90 | Horchow
Dutailier Sleigh Glider - Espresso & Velvet Taupe - 61A200-69-3091
$339.00 | Hayneedle
Handmade Alliyah Cherry Tomato Wool Rug (5'x 8')
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™