Kitten SOS

Mentha(9 CA)May 3, 2006

Any of you homesteading types, could you please tell me of an antibiotic safe for a 6 week kitten? I have one which was attacked by a rabbit which adopted our yard. I had to super-glue it's skin together, but I'm unsure of an antibiotic. I usually use a spray antibiotic, but don't want to since he's likely to get sick from licking it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeffrey_harris(San Diego, CA)

Mentha,

If at all possible, I would get Kitten to a vet ASAP. I know this doesn't answer your question, but for one so young, professional help is best.

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 12:18PM
Mentha(9 CA)

Thanks for the suggestion Jeff, but the only other option it has is euthination. Hubby gave him a week for me to decide. It's holding up very well, he ran today :) so unless it gets infected it will be fine.

The only animals I've taken to the vet are things like spay/neuter, or a scratched out eye, dog attack, or emergency c-section on large livestock. If it were a large farm animal it would go to the vet. Everything else I treat myself or put the animal down. I have some terramyacin but when I tried to google it with 'oral' and 'cat' I got kind of disgusted. I don't want to use it unless it's needed. I just have it on hand if I do.

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 3:50PM
jeffrey_harris(San Diego, CA)

Mentha,

Then I would go ahead with just keeping it clean, and maybe feeding Kitty with some vitamins in its food - maybe you can wipe the wounded area(s) with alcohol?

There's this supplement (don't know the name, but we called it 'Kitty Steroids') that comes in a tube and is supposed to supllement mother's milk.

Best of luck with him - he sounds like a fighter.

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 4:16PM
Mentha(9 CA)

kitty steroids hehe. He's still nursing, so maybe he'll pick up her antibodies also. I also have some milk replacement, I could give him some of that also. I need some betadine so I'm going to go to the vet supply as soon as hubs gets paid.

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 5:30PM
More Discussions
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
Will the aphids come back on my overwintered potted strawberry plants?
I had a severe aphid infestation on my potted strawberry...
malsprower
Spot for Calathea ornata and Ctenanthe oppenheimiana tricolor
Will they like the same spot as my Marantha leuconeura? Beside...
MsGreenFinger GW
Brown Leaf Spots on Dracaena
Hi all, I have a dracaena fragrans that I bought at...
breadherring
Hanging Plant Identify & Care
In looking thru My Pictures Library, I found this good...
bobv2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™