New Age super market

larry_b(Zone5/CO)July 7, 2006

Hi all,

The new Supermarket near our house has an automatic water mister to keep the produce fresh. Just before it goes on, you hear the sound of a thunderstorm and the smell of fresh rain.

When you approach the milk cases, you hear cows mooing and witness the scent of fresh butter fat.

When you approach the egg case, you hear hens cackle and the air is filled with the pleasing aroma of eggs frying.

So far I have been too afraid to go down the toilet paper aisle.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tootswisc(z4/5Wi)

LOL Larry. We have the thunderstorm thing in one of our groceries. So do you think those sounds will make us buy more. I often wonder about the music. I usually notice the songs that are being played and for the most part I like the selection but I always wonder if because I like the music, does Piggly wiggly think I will spend more time in the store buying things

Bookmark   July 8, 2006 at 8:41AM
fishies(Ottawa z4a or 5)

I couldn't imagine that all those chemicals would make me want to buy more produce - I wouldn't be able to actually smell the produce over the artificial scents!

Hey! Maybe they should consider real smells - pile in some cow manure and chicken sh** :)

I like grocery store music - it's usually oldies hits or 70s and 80s AM radio fare (anyone remember Stephen Bishop, King of AM Radio?) It makes me want to stay in the store longer. In fact, there's a grocery store downtown that stopped piping in music a few years ago, and I actually switched grocery stores!

Bookmark   July 8, 2006 at 9:47AM
tootswisc(z4/5Wi)

But have you ever asked the butcher for a dance? I actually did one time as my favorite dance tune came on-he thought I was nuts of course as did the store owner who was standing next to him. But don't you think its some sort of brainwashing-I am sure they have done studies and know what type of music encourage us to spend more money.

Bookmark   July 8, 2006 at 5:45PM
lunamoon(5 MA)

One of the grocery stores here has thunderstorms in the produce isle too. No scents though. That seems kinda weird to me.....

Bookmark   July 17, 2006 at 12:35AM
fishies(Ottawa z4a or 5)

I'm sure you're right that it's some sort of brainwashing. Lulling us into spending more time in the store, lowering our resistance. Ah, well, it works for me!

Once I heard "Smoking in the Boys Room," back to back with 10cc. Remember when "Smoking in the Boys Room" was an anthem of teen rebellion? (Both times?) Now it's grocery store music.

Bookmark   July 17, 2006 at 9:26AM
ooojen(z4MN)

Oh yeah! I had the album, on genuine vinyl...and I never smoked (and only rarely visited the boys' room).

That's pretty interesting, Larry! (lol on the TP! I think I might avoid the pharmaceuticals aisle, too... though the audio might be interesting in...never mind!) My favorite grocery store used to have thunder with it's misting rain, but they quit. We never had any of the other sounds and smells. Being "close to the land" as I am, I kind of thought like Shelly. The sound of chickens cackling reminds me of the smell of chicken poop!

Bookmark   July 17, 2006 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
March flowers 2015
Old thanksgiving cactus blooming later than normal. Hoya...
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
What Makes for a Good House Plant?
As a novice gardener in zone 5, I've become rapidly...
SnowStorm
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™