Swimming...don't you love it

tootswisc(z4/5Wi)July 31, 2006

Our local pool has water aerobics. What a treat to be in a pool in our little town park. Its 7PM and still 91 degrees. I swam laps after the class-had the whole pool to myself. Life just does not get any better. And we are having fresh corn on the cob and fresh tomatoes for supper. Life just does not get any better!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hi Diane,

I swim regularly. It is just the best form of excersize in my opinion. I wish I could say that I enjoyed it as much as you do. After swimming on schedule for over 20 years, I must say that there are days when I would rather stay home. lol Even so, after each swim I always feel better and am glad that I went.

Larry

Bookmark   August 1, 2006 at 4:43AM
tootswisc(z4/5Wi)

Larry, it has to be swimming outside, in the heat, with a nice sky and birds singing. We can do that for only a few days in my neck of the woods. Hey, not to wander, but just what does my neck of the woods mean?

Bookmark   August 1, 2006 at 9:51PM
fishies(Ottawa z4a or 5)

I'll be waiting anxiously for an answer to that one, too, Toots. Do woods even have necks?

Bookmark   August 7, 2006 at 10:18AM
tootswisc(z4/5Wi)

I googled...

Of course, many inanimate objects have necks: tools, bottles, bones, cannons and violins to name a few. In nature, neck has referred to any narrow strip of water, ice or trees. So, originally, neck of the woods meant a stretch of woodland.

Sometime in the first half of the 19th century, people started referring to the settlements in remote wooded areas as a particular neck of the woods. The first print evidence of the expression is in 1839: "In this neck of the woods" (Sprit of Times 15 June 175/2, 1839). In a book of Americanisms, De Vere writes about the American pioneer: "He will. . .find his neighborhood designated as a neck of the woods, that being the name applied to any settlement made in the well-wooded parts of the South-west especially" (Americanisms: The English of the New World, 1871).

Bookmark   August 7, 2006 at 10:34PM
fishies(Ottawa z4a or 5)

I think I must live just at the tip of the right index finger of the woods, then.

Bookmark   August 8, 2006 at 8:45AM
More Discussions
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
What to do with Alocasia tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
Moisture Meter?
I have a mechanical moisture meter, and it has increasingly...
trclac
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™