Son got a betta fish as an early christmas gift...........

kaleanna(z8 TX)December 20, 2005

does anyone have one of these? best care for this fish? what type of plants can be put in with it that wont harm the fish?

Hugs

Meesh

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foxykitten350234(z6)

It has been a long time since I had one of those fish. All I can remember is they eat brine shrimp. You can get fresh or freeze dryed. As for plants...all I can tell you is the plastic ones didn't cause my fish any problems.lol I couldn't grow plants at the time I had the fish so I never checked into real plants. The other big fact I remember is you don't put two of those fish together~ hence their other name "siamese fighting fish". I'm just a wealth of knowledge on this subject...NOT.lol Good luck with the fish.

Foxy.

Bookmark   December 21, 2005 at 1:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nanatina(3b CDN/4b USDA)

Hi
There is a lot of info on the internet on Betas
We only have one and when we first got it we had it in a 1 gallon fish bowl. The bowl needed to be changed every second day or it was filthy and it did not seem like it was 'happy'in there so after about a week or so I added it to our 20 gal tank. After a few days of hiding out, it is now thriving and actually playing with the other fish.
Betas aren't necessarily solitary creatures, you just can't have 2 males together but you can have male and female and they are compatibable with other similar size fish. The main worry is actually the betas flowing fins being attacked by others not vice versa. The same problem occurs with angel fish - those fins are tempting.
With our beta we have 1 angel fish, 4 black widow tetras and 4 mollies. They all get along great.

Most, but not all info I have read discourages the small decorative containers for the fish. They can survive in them but they are not ideal. The beta would actually prefer higher temps than you can achieve without a tank heater as well as more space.
Kind of like a lot of so called low light plants - they will survive in low light but they will thrive in more.

I am not an expert - just wanted to offer a little info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beta fish care

Bookmark   December 21, 2005 at 6:26AM
More Discussions
Dracaenas Identify & Care
Here are two plants that I know are Dracaenas but I...
bobv2
help my Imperial Green Philodendron
Hello dears , I've a very beautiful and large Philodendron...
sara03
Pruning Ficus Lyrata (fiddle leaf fig)
Hi everyone! I have a 5 foot tall healthy, indoor ficus...
erich60660
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
Fittonia - ID & Care
Here's another plant I just bought. I'd appreciate...
bobv2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™