How Many Watermelons to Keep Each Plant?

achang89(Z6)July 14, 2014

I grow about 8 watermelon plants, Crimson Sweet and another unknown variety. They grow well and the largest one is about 6" large.

I also see quite a few smaller melons and female flowers growing. So my question is that, should I limit the numbers of fruits on each vine? I do allow the plants to grow to open areas, so that is not a problem. My concern is that, if I allow to plants to set many fruits, would each fruit small?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

An overload of melons can hurt size and quality. You have some medium melons and one/ones unknown which doesn't help giving help.
I have seen a medium or so melon like Sangria have 5 melons in the first set. They tended to be 18 or 19 pounds apiece and not top quality as Sangria can be about the best there is. two 25 pound Sangrias are better than 5 only fair ones.

In your case, it is partly a matter of how healthy the plants are. If they are vibrantly healthy, they can handle 3 at a time. If average, only 2.

For small varieties...let them set what they will. Very healthy vines can make a nice second setting too.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 3:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rayrose(8)

I let my melons set as many fruit as they want. The plant will naturally abort some of the fruit. So I let the plant alone and let it do it's own thing. The plant will decide which fruit will mature and which won't.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 9:24AM
More Discussions
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Starting a garden in Corpus Christi Texas
I am a beginning gardener and I have gotten some helpful...
mollysmom_2008
Where is the sweet potato post?
Someone on here wanted to know if sweet potatoes would...
zzackey
I don't remember what I planted.
This is my first year gardening and I can't seem to...
riggem
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™