Re-growing lettuce?

leira(6 MA)July 1, 2012

My romaine was getting ready to bolt (it was tasting bitter, and the leaves released a milk-white liquid when cut), so I cut off all of the plants level with the ground, and tossed them into the compost. I didn't uproot them...for no particularly good reason. I see now that many of them are starting to re-grow heads.

Can any good come of this? Will the new lettuce taste OK, or will it also be bitter from the start?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

It will depend on the weather and your watering. Here, given the consistent heat, mine is almost always bitter and never grows all that much. One year that I can recall it was ok, not great but ok, but I prefer to use the space for something better and more productive.

Dave

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 4:15PM
mandolls(4)

I have had a baby romaine re-grow regularly and be very edible, It is going to depend on how hot it is there, mine is pretty much in the shade, and in WI instead of Ark.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 4:48PM
QueenOfKing(4)

So for you reseeders... what do you do? Just leave the plant and let it grow high and reseed? I have my lettuces and spinach now that have bolted (they've grown vertically with high stem) and the spinach has flowers on them. what should I do at this point to get a fall crop out of them?

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 11:05AM
oliveoyl3

yes - leave until seeds mature. Then collect or let them disperse. It takes longer than you think for them to mature, so don't cut them until you have found mature seeds.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 1:02AM
More Discussions
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Radish in Miami
I grow mostly tomatoes, but once in a while I plant...
garf_gw
Cucumber leaves turning white
Hi, I am totally new to having any sort of garden and...
wanderess
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™