Seed starting mixes

pumpkineater2January 5, 2014

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good mixes that work well for starting seeds in. What different combinations of ingredients have worked well for you?

I need Something that I can use for general seed starting. I've got a lot of random seeds sitting around the house that I need to plant. Thanks :)

Jason

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You don't need anything special for seed germination. Most of the typical packaged potting mixes are perfectly suited for that task, being rather fine textured. That quality makes them pretty awful as a potting mix but great for seed starting. Don't buy into the marketing ploy that dictates the need for something special.

Bottom heat is more important in the germination process than a special medium. Then, moisture management, light, air temperature, and other environmental factors become important.

Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 6:47AM
carol222

I like a layer of finely milled sphagnum moss on top of whichever soil mix I have. It helps keep the seeds from drying out. I'm usually sowing very fine seed for which this works especially well. But I've been planting garden seeds lately using the same method. They have been coming up very quickly, too.

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 2:31AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Me too. I use a very well-aerated soil with the seeds scattered on top. Then I cover the seeds with a light covering of fine peat, Turface fines, or a mixture of both, and keep the top moist via misting and partially tenting until seeds germinate, at which time I eliminate bottom heat if I'm using it. Seedlings appreciate a well-aerated medium as much as a mature plant. If the seeds are very fine, I usually mix them with some Turface fines (sand works well) and sprinkle the mixture over the coarse medium before covering.

Al

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 11:02AM
More Discussions
Why does my anthirium want to commit suicide?
This is my anthirium and it is slowly dying? Judging...
sturmzie
Only 1/2 of a schefflera remaining...
4 years ago, I adopted this schefflera from a bank...
greenintrigue
Peperomia "Rosso"
I bought this plant recently....does anyone else have...
RioSeven
White bugs in saucer under spider plant
I found a pile of these small white bugs in the saucer...
Caitlin Maraist
I believe this is a corn plant... it's blooming and very frangrant!
I recently acquired this house plant from someone that...
kinziestarr
Sponsored Products
Henri Studio Summer Showers Garden Fountain
Lamps Plus
Calcite Cabinet Pull
Signature Hardware
Lumiere Traditional Outdoor OL1700 Wall Sconce
Lightology
Max. Mover Suspension by Ingo Maurer
$1,840.00 | Lumens
Modern Snowball White Aluminium Alloy Pendant Lighting
ParrotUncle