Spinach Plant Question

QueenOfKing(4)July 3, 2012

Hi all. My lettuces "bolted" (grew tall and flowered) and I know that means they're done and bitter, etc. but what about spinach? My gardening book says that you can harvest "the entire plant" once spinach blooms appear? Do spinach leaves not get bitter like lettuce? I assumed since I saw blossoms they were done as well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greginnd(Z4 ND)

They will essentially stop producing leaves. It may be a little bitter. I would pull them plants and replant some seeds.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 2:55PM
Slimy_Okra(2b)

It usually does turn bitter. Try a leaf and see. If it has been grown under cool, moist and shady conditions, it is less likely to be bitter.
I'm not sure when you planted it but spring spinach should be planted as early as humanly possible - when the snow has melted off and the soil has dried out enough to work. You can sow spinach again in mid-August for a fall crop.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 5:03PM
arkie99

We are having extreme tempatures still and I am unsure when to plant in the fall. Normally I would do it in mid august but is there a rule of thumb temp. wise? I know toms don't pollinate if it is cooler then 70 at night, or so I have heard what about spinach is there a rule? I hate to waste seed but I still have toms and would love some salads! Any advice would be appreciated. I live in NW Ark.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 3:52PM
farmerdill

Spinach is not something you worry about pollination. The problem becomes germination of the seed. They are planted very shallow and the trick is to keep them damp and avoid high soil temps. Shade and water are essential here in Georgia for a fall planting.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 4:08PM
More Discussions
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Can I use grape leaves as mulch?
I have alot of chopped and dried grape vine leaves....
zzackey
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Radish in Miami
I grow mostly tomatoes, but once in a while I plant...
garf_gw
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™