Plant identification

jostus(7)January 17, 2014

I can't seem to remember the name of this plant. It's related to a cycad I believe. Can someone please help me out? Thanks for looking!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantsaremylife_grow(5b)

Hi
Awesome plant! Im thinking its a birdnest anthurium. Specifically anthurium plowmanii grande. I got one a while back and love it. Very indoor hardy so far!

Kyle

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 5:49PM
tropicbreezent

Definitely a Birdsnest Anthurium, but I think Anthurium hookeri "Ruffles". I have an A. plowmanii but it looks a bit different (although still a Birdsnest Anthurium).

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 9:48PM
asleep_in_the_garden

Nice aerial roots! =)

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 10:05PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

What a great plant, love the frilly leaf edges!

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 12:44PM
jostus(7)

Boy was I off! Thank you all! :) so It's an anthurium for sure. Which one I have , I have no clue because the leaves In all the online pictures look much lighter in color and appear much more pliable then mine. The leaves on my anthurium are very stiff, and leathery with more prominent veining, more ruffled margins and way darker In color! If it wasn't for these variables I would say it looks most like what I see in photos of Anthurium Plowmanii grande. Might the differences simply be due to the growing environment? My plant lives under year round low humidity from central heating and airconditioning ( I mist just the arial roots daily). It also receives direct sunlight for many hours. It puts out a flush of new growth in the spring and then just sits back like a pre-Madonna sunbathing the rest of the year :D

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 11:24AM
jostus(7)

Boy was I off! Thank you all! :) so It's an anthurium for sure. Which one I have , I have no clue because the leaves In all the online pictures look much lighter in color and appear much more pliable then mine. The leaves on my anthurium are very stiff, and leathery with more prominent veining, more ruffled margins and way darker In color! If it wasn't for these variables I would say it looks most like what I see in photos of Anthurium Plowmanii grande. Might the differences simply be due to the growing environment? My plant lives under year round low humidity from central heating and airconditioning ( I mist just the arial roots daily). It also receives direct sunlight for many hours. It puts out a flush of new growth in the spring and then just sits back like a pre-Madonna sunbathing the rest of the year :D

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
Has anyone grown a coffee tree?
Hi Im curious has anyone tried growing a coffee tree?...
cynandjon
My Spider Plant Again......
Out of all my plants this one just seems to get everything....
MrBlubs
String of Pearls
Here is a photo of what used to be a very healthy 'String...
bobv2
Can this Dracaena be Saved?
This long neglected Dracaena has been growing sideways,...
sandyslopes z5 northern UT
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™