First time for cauliflower.

sphinx_faceJuly 13, 2014

I think a mistake we made was planting them too close together, the leaves weren't able to fully grow so when I tied them there were holes in which the blooms escaped making strange shaped heads. Also, despite multiple treatments of ladybugs and the presence of soldier beetles, there was a sizable infestation of mealy bugs. While I think they stuck mainly to the leaves, I think their droppings got onto the heads.... I'm just not sure about the quality of the final product, I also am unsure as to how to properly clean them. There was a small number of cabbage worms which I mostly picked off but how am I supposed to know if they have bored their way inside? I'm sure there are other things I'm not taking into account... Im just leery of eating them now... I have them soaking in cold water like in the picture but I don't think that's gonna do much?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gin_gin(5)

It looks like you waited a little too long to harvest. They went past the point where the heads are nice and tight and started to open up.

You can put a little salt in the water and soak for a few minutes and that will make any that are on there let go. I'm not sure about the burrowing.

Next time try Bt for the cabbage worms, it works really well on all caterpillars. And harvest earlier.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 2:56PM
sphinx_face

I Added salt and vinegar to the water and the mealy bugs are still attached. It seems like some parts of the cauliflower create bubbles when submerged. The heads started coming apart like that from when they were first growing because the leaves weren't leafy enough to cover them all...

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 3:54PM
woohooman

Tying up the leaves is just for blanching. There are many varieties available now that don't require it. gin_gin is right-- you let them go too long before harvest.

Regarding the bugs, use a bit more vinegar. They'll dislodge eventually. If not, just cook it up well.. a little extra protein ain't gonna hurt you. ;)

Kevin

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 4:06PM
sphinx_face

I think I'm gonna leave the califlower and broccoli to the experts... The more I go looking the more bugs I find, a huge cabbage borer just emerged I have no idea how I couldn't see him... I can only take so much of bugs before I start to have day/nightmares...

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 5:54PM
woohooman

Don't do that! Broccoli is one of the easiest and cauli is a bit more heat sensitive, but they're pretty easy to grow. About the only problem I ever have with them is caterpillars, like gin-gin mentioned. And, occasionally, cauli doesn't get to full head because of a freak heat wave. Brussels sprouts, on the other hand, are a complete pita! I think it's just too warm here, for them.

Kevin

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:00PM
sphinxface

The mealy bugs are a bit more challenging than the caterpillars, as gross as they are I can deal with them.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:06PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Row covers are a good idea for such non-flowering plants as cauliflower.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 11:15PM
More Discussions
Planting two seeds. Should I keep both?
I've always heard you should plant 2-3 seeds per container...
asunk00
Why is Zucchini Stem Splitting?
This is my first year growing zucchini. It's in a container...
Cliff Pruitt
pepper problems
Hey everyone! My pepper blossoms are falling off! I...
Ankjlkhu Bkjjghfy
Long post but help please?
Okay, So. This year I started all my vegetables from...
jenandwya
Walnut mulch for raised vegetable garden pathways
Just had a walnut stump ground down. Is it safe to...
burtman23
Sponsored Products
Eames Executive Chair
Design Within Reach
Mykonos Beach Towel - BLUE/GREEN
$98.00 | Horchow
Eagle One Recycled Plastic Adirondack Classic Foot Stool - C425FSBLK
$196.99 | Hayneedle
New Rust Blue 9 X 18 Antiqued Oriental Heriz Serapi Hand Knotted Wool Rug - H326
BH Sun Inc
Aquarius Adjustable Suspension by Access Lighting
$430.00 | Lumens
Mini Star Chrome Three-Light Mini Pendant with Royal Cut Golden Teak Smoky Cryst
$450.00 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™