Bitter Melon root rots

yli_123July 15, 2014

Hi

Something is killing my bitter melons

The leaves of the plant started to wilt like it was lack of water. Then few days later, it died and I noticed the crown of stem was dried out.

Below pic shows root of plant that showed early sign of diesease as I saw leaves started to wilt and I pulled the plant to see what happened.

Seems like the roots started to dried out/rot and worked it's way up the stem, cutting off water and nutrients to the plant

Can someone please advise what is causing this? is there any treatment I can use to save the remaining plants?

Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theforgottenone1013(MI zone 5b/6a)

Rotting roots are most likely due to overwatering. How often and how much have you been watering? What type of soil? Container or in-ground?

Rodney

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 4:13PM
yli_123

these plants are in container and water once a day in morning. some of the containers have two plants in one pot. One died and the other seems to be ok as of now

I also notice a cucuzza plant ( in ground) that the stem starts to dry out( brown color) today too.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 4:33PM
balamurali

recommendation of this root rot by organic: been cake chemical method : clorphyifos 20%ec mancozeb 50%wg. applied incoler.region for more details contact me in email balamuralismp@gmail.com

Bookmark   August 30, 2014 at 12:56PM
More Discussions
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
pepper with Brown spots
I researched about this disease and it says that a...
keyki5
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
Worth time and supplies to plant old seeds?
I have seeds ranging from one year to probably about...
malkar
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™