Germinating Broccoli Seeds

saleveneJuly 20, 2014

Hi All,

I recently acquired some Broccoli seeds and plan to grow it in the new garden.

I'm used to growing hot peppers and when I germinate those seeds, I put them in a damp coffee filter in a plastic bag until it sprouts, then move into a small pot until its ready to transplant.

Is it possible to do the same with Broccoli seeds or should I just throw them right in the a small pot with damp soil?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

As long as the soil is cool, either way will work. Broccoli is quite easy to germinate, but need a cool medium. Under 75 degrees F. Unlike peppers they do not like hot feet.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 3:12PM
salevene

Thanks farmerdill.

You think I could grow one of them on my balcony in a pot this size? It receives about 4-5 hours of sun per day. 70-80 all year round...

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 4:00PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

One plant is not going to give you much to harvest but as an interesting experiment you could try growing in that pot. However, since there is no indication of scale in the photo and you don't give dimensions it's not possible to say if it big enough. And does it have drain holes? Broccoli, like most Brassicas. germinates incredibly easily. I think it is the consequent care in a container in heat which will be the challenge.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 7:00AM
Peter1142(Zone 6b)

I just planted broccoli direct sow and it germinated fine. Keeping it healthy the next month is going to be the challenge I think.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 8:23AM
Peter1142(Zone 6b)

Question on this topic, just how diligently should I wanted the tiny seedlings now in the summer.. daily? For how long? They are in a shader section of the garden but still get about 5 hours sun.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 5:26PM
salevene

Floral, its about 20ish centimeters in diameter that pot and about 30cm in height... Something like that (its mot too big).

Do you know if Broccoli likes a lot of water like tomatoes or very little and only when needed like hot peppers?

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 9:53PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Well, I've never grown broccoli in a pot but that does seem a little small considering how tall and wide the plants grow in the open garden. Regarding watering I can't give you any rules. They will show if they need water by their behaviour. Only when needed applies to all plants - it's just that some need more than others. Feel down in the soil if you can't tell from looking at the plant. It doesn't have to be wet on top but it needs to be moist (not wet) an inch or so down.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 10:59AM
salevene

Thanks floras,

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 11:29PM
More Discussions
Who is gardening right now? Show me pictures
I spent my day in the garden. My turnips and kale made...
katy_bug
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
Potatoes and snakes
Perhaps you all can debunk an absurd concern I've had...
formerly_creativeguy
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™