Norfolk Island Pine, soil

deer145January 8, 2014

I just got a small Norfolk Island Pine houseplant and I need to transfer it to a proper pot. I have miracle grow soil and I was going to mix in some perlite, is that adequate for this houseplant? Or would something more coarse be better? I never had a pine before.

Also, the container I have is maybe a half inch bigger than the growing pot it is in now. It's roots are sticking out the bottom of the pot it's in now, do you think I need a bigger transfer pot than only a half an inch bigger?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

If the plant LOOKS healthy, there's probably no pressing reason for you to pot up immediately. Give it a month or so to adapt to where you have it sited, then repot it into a coarse soil you're SURE can be watered to beyond saturation w/o any fear of the soil remaining soggy so long it impedes root health/function. Keep in mind that repotting and potting up are different actions, one being far superior to the other whenever long term vitality is a consideration.

How large a container you can or should choose depends almost entirely on soil choice, rather than what size the plant is now. The more water-retentive the soil is, the more important pot size is as a consideration. If you're using a soil that supports little or no water in a soggy layer of soil at the bottom of the pot, you can plant the smallest of plants in extremely large containers with no concern that you've 'over-potted'.

Al

Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 4:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey(8b GA)

I would repot to a bigger pot than that. Mine grew like crazy. I always grew them outside in central Florida. I almost bought one at Ace for 75% off, but it is too cold here to grow them outside and I have no room outside.

Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
Pachira browning
Hi, all! My Pachira needs help. The trunk is not soft...
deborahsab
Avocado Plant Leaf Trouble
I started an avocado plant from a over the winter,...
Patrick Johnston
Help with poinsettia :(
Hello everyone, I really need help with a poinsettia...
oneandtwoarethree
Satus Update!
It was 52 degrees yesterday, and in my yard I found...
Rhamel(teengardener1888)
Only 1/2 of a schefflera remaining...
4 years ago, I adopted this schefflera from a bank...
greenintrigue
Sponsored Products
Jofran Grand Terrace Dining Table - JSI1149
Hayneedle
Norfolk Restoration Grey Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Jofran Chadwick Rectangular Counter Height Dining Table - 863-42
$429.99 | Hayneedle
Jofran Nantucket 60 in. Media Unit - Aged White - 048-9
$659.99 | Hayneedle
Jofran Alto 60 in. Media Unit - Black Cherry - 041-9
$499.99 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Norfolk Charcoal 8 ft.
Home Depot
Jofran Brimfield 60 in. Media Unit - Antique Gray - 050-9
$639.99 | Hayneedle
Jofran Rustic Prairie 9 Piece Counter Height Dining Set - JSI945
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™