Okra seedlings.

GoodOneJoeJuly 8, 2012

Hello everybody, I'm new here! I have a question about okra, I searched the forums and couldn't find anything regarding it.

I planted some okra (first time growing it) and got beautiful seedlings that in my current 80-90 degree weather are doing wonderful, there's only one thing. One of the seedlings can't break out of his seed. He sprouted, but the leaves are trapped under an unbreakable seed. Should I leave him alone? Should I trim the seed with the trapped leaves off? I can post a picture if needed.

Thank you so much,

-Joe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
IAmSupernova(SE Texas 9A)

Also in the future you can soak the seeds overnight in water, it will help prevent this from occurring.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 3:21PM
Slimy_Okra(2b)

If you can't nudge it out with your nail, use a pair of scissors. Cut from the outside. You will probably end up removing a portion of both cotyledons, but as long as you don't touch the stem or the area between the cotyledons, the plant will recover.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 9:14PM
GoodOneJoe

Thanks guys! I went out to see how stuck on it was today and the seed fell off. It removed a bit of the leaves but we'll see how it goes.

And by the way, I didn't soak my seeds but I did freeze them in ice cubes and planted the ice cubes. I heard it worked well and all ten sprouted, and the one had the seed stuck on. So not bad.

Thanks for your help, guys.

-Joe

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 7:07PM
More Discussions
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
Pea eggplants or kittily
Has anyone ever grown pea eggplants or kittily? Or...
changingitup
Romaine Lettuce help
So I plant 3 sets of 3 romaine plants about 2 1/2 weeks...
robbversion1
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow in organic vegetables in coco coir ans spray...
little sur farm
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™