P Selloum (Philodendron) with little brown spots on some leaves

kat123456January 18, 2009

Hi everyone,

I have a 30+ year-old P Selloum philodendron that has little tiny round brown spots on some of the leaves. I don't see any evidence of bugs, and some leaves are totally fine. Is this anything I should be concerned about? It was outside last summer and then I brought it back into the house in October. I also took the whole thing out of the pot last summer, washed off the roots, and split the plant into 3 plants (one large, 2 small). It's growing like crazy (it takes up the same amount of space as my baby grand piano!) and appears healthy, but I am concerned because I had a recent whitefly infestation in my hibiscus plants (which were segregated on a different floor of the house). Any thoughts on what these brown spots might be?

Thank you so much! This plant was given to me by one of my college professors 20 years ago, and he had it for a long time before then, so it means a lot to me!

Kat in CT

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kat123456

I should also mention that I treated this plant with a systemic before bringing it inside. (Then again, I also treated those hibiscuses, and they are now gone because I couldn't deal with the whitefly)

Bookmark   January 18, 2009 at 1:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

I've seen this on some selloums too. If it's just a few leaves, cut them off at the base of the stem and hopefully you won't get any more spotted ones. My guess it that it's some kind of fungus.

I too gave up on the indoor hibs. Couldn't deal with the whiteflies(and aphids and mites...).

Bookmark   January 18, 2009 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
Is bud blast of big-box store Phalaenopsis genetic?
I love houseplants. Phals make great houseplants. I...
jujujojo_gw
umbrella plant care
I recently bought an indoor umbrella plant just like...
desdurso
Rubber tree plant questions
Hi all, I have a rubber tree plant that I'm trying...
dbforr
Moister Measurement
I recall having a very useful tool that I could stick...
bobv2
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™