New member, need help with dying corn plant

aly531(South Carolina)January 31, 2013

Hi!
I have a corn plant that was given to me last spring and it's been slowly dying. I have been careful about not watering too much as I read that was a big problem with these plants. I've never had many house plants so I'm very new at this, but I feel awful because I think this plant may be beyond help...

Thank you for any advice at all!

Alyce

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dzitmoidonc(6)

A plant out of the light and without water. Those 2 things will make it look like this.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 6:58PM
aly531(South Carolina)

Hi,
It's been in front of a window that gets some morning light and I've been watering it about every 10 days. When my friend gave me the plant she said she had put it in a new pot and trimmed the root ball. There used to be 2 stalks coming out of the cane, but it got very brown and all of the leaves started dropping off so I cut that stalk off. The leaves on the new growth at the base of the cane look somewhat healthier, but I'm just not sure what to do next...

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 8:12PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

The plant has a fungal infection that probably started in the roots and has gone systemic, attacking the plant's vasculature - which is why you can see even the main stem withering and collapsing on itself as a result of the plant's inability to move water. Sadly, I would agree with you that the plant isn't going to recover. ;-(

Al

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans) seeds, male vs. female
Though they bloom like crazy, this is the first time...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Rubber tree plant questions
Hi all, I have a rubber tree plant that I'm trying...
dbforr
Is bud blast of big-box store Phalaenopsis genetic?
I love houseplants. Phals make great houseplants. I...
jujujojo_gw
Moisture Meter?
I have a mechanical moisture meter, and it has increasingly...
trclac
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™