Withering Pumpkin Plants

sneed(7)July 22, 2014

Every year my pumpkin plants start OK and then get powdery mildew and then die. This year as soon as the powdery mildew began I started spraying them with a sulphur/water mix. It's not working. Why?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
springtogarden(6)

It is best to spray them before they get PM as a prevention. I have never used sulphur so I can't speak about it. I used potassium bicarbonate and water and now use raw milk and water. I was able to get my plants to keep producing and allow the pumpkins to finish growing last year when they got it. This year I have been spraying before hand. HTH!

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 4:13PM
sneed(7)

But how do I save these plants now?

This post was edited by sneed on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 18:09

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 5:10PM
springtogarden(6)

You can clip the worst leaves on your plants but leave some so the pumpkin fruit do not get scalded. Make sure to clean any clippers with rubbing alcohol after using on the pumpkins with PM so it doesn't spread. If there is a plant that is shot and there are some plants that are still growing, I would remove the dying one or at least the worst section of the plant. I would use the milk mixture, 10-20% milk rest water and soak them, top to bottom with a sprayer. I usually spray mine in the evening because I read that the plants are more receptive.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 12:41AM
sneed(7)

And even though I have 7 pumpkin plants, so far there are only 2 pumpkins, and it appears one has stopped growing.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 8:42AM
springtogarden(6)

I am sorry to heat that! I love growing cucurbits but I can't stand PM and nothing more irritating than having a beautiful green plant and come out to check on it, only to see a bunch of white spots on it :(. Hope you get it to come back! You're ahead of me in gardening zone so maybe you will have time to save it and get more pumpkins.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 9:57AM
More Discussions
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
Puzzled with my bell pepper plants
I have been harvesting from the same plant since last...
jacat426
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
Potatoes and snakes
Perhaps you all can debunk an absurd concern I've had...
formerly_creativeguy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™