Peace Lily Plant

LadyMealsJanuary 7, 2012

Hi All,

My husband and I brought a Peace Lily home from my brother in law's apartment in NYC on December 17, 2011. It was extremely hearty and now it looks dead.

It started out a little droopy and I watered it thinking it needed water. That didn't work and it has gotten worse. We moved it from indirect sun light to direct afternoon sunlight. We even tried to put it in our bathroom and turn up the heat since the plant was used to being in a hotter room.

The leaves feel soggy but have never turned yellow and all of the flowers have turned dark brown and have died.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

It's uncommon for sunburn to cause a total collapse of a plant, so the issue is likely to be found in watering habits. I'd say the odds significantly favor the issue being related to the effects of over-watering. If the issue is indeed related to over-watering, as I suspect, whether the plant makes it or not depends on how severely the roots are damaged. The best course is to depot the plant, inspect the roots for rot, trim any roots visibly compromised or suspected of infection by rot, and repot into an appropriate size container with an appropriate soil.

The alternate, which offers a reduced expectation of an end result that's favorable, would be to depot the plant if the soil is wet (as opposed to damp), and place the root mass on a stack of newspaper, paper bags, an old towel .... to dry down before returning it to its container, after which you would monitor water needs more carefully.

I should have asked if you fertilized the plant since acquiring it. If yes, it could be the reason or play a part in the problem. If you did fertilize, please describe what you used and at what strength.

Al

Bookmark   January 7, 2012 at 5:13PM
More Discussions
Peace Lily,
I just got this peace lily with only one leaf, my question...
lulu627
Zebra cactus update - still not looking great?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
I believe this is a corn plant... it's blooming and very frangrant!
I recently acquired this house plant from someone that...
kinziestarr
Pachira browning
Hi, all! My Pachira needs help. The trunk is not soft...
deborahsab
Pine Bark Fines Ontario Canada
Okay...5-1-1 mix! I am having trouble. First off the...
RioSeven
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™