Looking for a place to purchase Easter Cactus

val1(z4 UT)January 31, 2012

I am looking for a good place to purchase an Easter cactus. I bought a huge Thanksgiving cactus in December at Walmart and love it. So now I would like to find an Easter Cactus. I prefer pink or white. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am also open to trades in the spring when my outside plants defrost or when I have had time to root some of my indoor cuttings. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ssk22

vall,
They are not as easy to find as Thanksgiving cactus.last spring I found mine at a Sam's club. Good luck
Sharon

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 7:10PM
luvidaho_2010(5/6)

There are several on Ebay right now.
Tami

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 7:16PM
emerald1951

Hi, I have in the passed found some at Home Depot...after Easter....I have a red one you are welcome to have some cuttings...I am looking for a rat tail cactus...but if you don't have one thats ok...you can still have some cuttings if you want a red one...linda
heres a picture of mine taken last year at Easter time...

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 7:19PM
val1(z4 UT)

Thanks for the information. :)

Tami -- I did look on eBay and will purchase one there in the spring if I do not find one in the stores around here. Right now I would worry about it freezing in shipping.

Sharon -- I do have a Sam's Club close and will look for one there around Easter. I am glad to hear that people have found them in some of the big stores. That increases my chances of finding one.

Linda -- Thanks for your generous offer. I do not have a rat tail cactus but I may have other things you might like. I have very few house plants because of space and lighting issues. I do have a goldfish plant and I am currently rooting cuttings from it. I have lots of outside plants like lavender, heuchera, iris, sempervium, bleeding hearts, etc. that will be available in the spring if you are interested in trading then. I will look for one at Home Depot and Lowes too.

I was able to talk to the owner of a local nursery today and she was going to see if her distributor can get her one.

Thanks again

Val

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 1:11AM
birdsnblooms

Try Walmart, too. They usually have hundreds of 4 and 6" Easter Cactus. Toni

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 10:29AM
val1(z4 UT)

Toni -- Thanks I will look there too.

I am really excited. Today, I was able to find a real Christmas cactus at a local nursery. It is a family owned nursery and she had started some cuttings from a plant that the family has had for many years. It even has a bloom. I will post pictures tomorrow.

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 11:14PM
ssk22

The wal mart in my area used to have them.. Lately,not the last few years.they seem to be getting away from the house plants. I remember when house plants was a house hold name,not so much anymore. LOL...
Sharon

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 9:53AM
birdsnblooms

Val, hey, that's great news! It's impossible finding a true Christmas Cactus.
Does your nursery happen to do online shipping? :)
You lucked out.
Most if not all Thanksgiving Cactus are sold AS Christmas Cactus. For years I thought my TC were CC..it wasn't until finding GW did I know their real identity.

SSK. Our Walmart stopped selling plants altogether, but since Christmas 2011, they've added display shelves and topped them with greens. 4"-10" potted plants.

Think Walmart over-ordered, 'like other stores,' Poinsettias. There had to be 100 or more, which were tossed out after New Year's.

Toni

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 10:28AM
val1(z4 UT)

Toni -- I called and the nursery does not do online shipping, she says that she is not set up to do it. If you are wanting a Christmas cactus, I was going to purchase a couple of extra for trading. If you do not want to trade, I am sure we can find a way to get one to you. I do need to tell you that they have been watered overhead and have water spots on the leaves. They have also been planted in a peat based soil that has compacted. However, the water spots wiped off and I plan to repot mine. I felt that was okay for me since they are hard to find. If you are interested please email me.

I will have my husband upload the photos of my new Christmas cacti tonight so I can sure. I need to learn to do it myself. Thanks.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 4:09PM
birdsnblooms

Em, did I mention I love your CC. Gorgeous.

Val, when will you order? It's too cold to ship plants here now.
My last bunch arrived w/frost-bitten leaves; it wasn't as cold then as now. (nights)
Thanks anyway..Perhaps in spring? Thank you, Toni

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 4:29PM
More Discussions
Desert Rose That Will Not Bloom
I have a desert rose that is roughly 4 or 5 years old....
Tiffany Martin
Can anyone ID this tree?
It's about 8' tall, a normal 'tree shape'. We got it...
laura242424
What kind of plant is this?
I recently purchased a houseplant from b&q but...
hancoll
Why does my anthirium want to commit suicide?
This is my anthirium and it is slowly dying? Judging...
sturmzie
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Sponsored Products
Slumber Shop Wilmington 3-piece Reversible Quilt Set
Overstock.com
Pre-owned Reclaimed Ash and Brushed Aluminum Coffee Table
Chairish
Home Decorators Area Rug: Appollo Brown 5' 9" Round
Home Depot
Darya Rugs Oushak, Beige, 7'10" x 9'9" M1726-130
Bitterroot Bit and Spur
Quorum International Liberty Old World 52 Inch Indoor Ceiling Fan
$408.00 | LuxeDecor